Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

petesmc

Hi,

Note: Using LM741

I have a DC input at about ranging from -0.1 to 0.1V with a permanent fixed offset of about 0.04V. I would like to remove this offset, AND amplify the voltage ACCURATELY 10 times.

So I designed a simple, difference amplifier to remove the 0.04V offset, and then a 10 gain amplifier. However, in simulations each of the output voltages from each system is slighly off (assuming due to input offset of op-amp). I've tried to compensate for the offset using pots at the offset nulling pins but has no effect in the simulation so i'm not sure whether it will in real life.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how I can fix this, or possibly some more accuracte op-amps I should use for this purpose? I would like to have the voltage output no more than 1 or 2 mV out so I need some fairly high accuracy components.

Thanks
-Peter

...so I need some fairly high accuracy components.
Hehe, It's so damn obvious if you're working with +/-.1 volts. But could you give out your design's schematics, so I clearly could -maybe- spot the problem? (What are you using as resistors: I mean tolerance...)

petesmc said:
Does anyone have any recommendation on how I can fix this, or possibly some more accuracte op-amps I should use for this purpose? I would like to have the voltage output no more than 1 or 2 mV out so I need some fairly high accuracy components.

Thanks
-Peter

You could use a chopper stabilised op amp like the ICL 7650CPD. It self-adjusts the input offset to typically 0.7microvolt - yes, that's microvolts! Its input temp coefficient is even less.

It is an instrument amplifier and is a little more expensive than a 741. but if you want results - it's good. There are several others in this category. You can find them with Google.

Use 1% resistors to get max accuracy.

Try using resistors with no band, or a gold ,or silver band, which have 0/10/5 % tolerance respectively... Resistors are the primary power loss in circuits, especially acurate-important ciruits.

Agent 009 said:
Try using resistors with no band, or a gold ,or silver band, which have 0/10/5 % tolerance respectively... Resistors are the primary power loss in circuits, especially acurate-important ciruits.
No resistor has a 0% tolerance. If there is no band it is probably an old 10% or 20% tolerance.

In fact, I can't think of anything that has ever been manufactured to a 0% tolerance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back