Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplifier only works half cycle. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original circuit with an input coupling capacitor has a very small output level because the load resistance is too low.
I increased the load from 1 ohm to 30k ohms and added an output coupling capacitor.
I also increased the value of my R3 so that the collector was near half the supply voltage.

The output is severely clipped because the gain or the input level is too high.

Attachments

• transistor.png
    transistor.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 145
Thanks I'm learning with each of your answers!

Regarding the Capacitor, I should choose a value for the capacitor large enough that it has small Xc such that it doesn't drop the input AC voltage across it, but only block the applied DC right?

Is there another purpose to this capacitor? There was a mention about shifting the value above ground, and does this capacitor help in that aspect?

Transistors are not as straight forward, so I'm working on circuits with just resistor and capacitors to get these things right before using the transistor in place. A lot to work on but again, your answers are giving me a good picture of each of the component function.

Last edited:
The input capacitor has two jobs.
High pass filter: In an audio amplifier you want to capacitor to pass everything above 20hz and block below 20hz. (20hz or what frequency you choose)
Bias: You need the amplifier to work at DC and to work at AC. So at DC the signal source shorts out the input. (not good) At DC the capacitor is OPEN (not there). You need to first build an amplifier that works at DC with all the capacitors open (out of circuit). The two input resistors are chosen so the base is at a happy voltage (with no AC signal involved). When a AC signal is applied it sits on the DC point. If the base is at 2 volts DC, then the input signal, of +/-1volt will, through the capacitor, will appear at the Base as the DC and AC added together. 2V with + and - 1 volts. (+1V to +3V)

Transistors are not as straight forward
Yes and no. The way I am explaining transistors is the simple version. There is a more complex version that we don't need to think of now.

A transistor has two parts.
The diode from B to E is much like any diode. If the B gets 0.6 volts above the E current will flow. If B is less then 0.6V above (or negative) current does not flow.
If there is base to emitter current then the transistor allows C to E current to flow. If this transistor has a gain of 100 (Hfe) then 1mA in the base will allow (cause) 100mA in the C.

In the DC part if you circuit if the input resistors pull the base up to 2 volts the emitter will want to come up to 1.4 volts. (2-0.6). If the E is at ground you will have base current. This will turn on the transistor and it will allow current from C-E that in-turn pull up the E. This current will cause a voltage across the emitter resistor that gives us 1.4V at the E. If too much current flows C to E the E voltage gets too high and causes the B-E voltage to be less than 0.6V and the transistor turns off. If too little current flows the E drops in voltage and the B-E voltage is more than 0.6V and the transistor turns on hard. So there is a balance where the base has 0.6V across it.

And regarding the output capacitor. Does the output capacitor remove the DC offset provided at the Collector output?
Lets say i have a 2 millivolt signal, with 10 volt offset. Removing the offset would mean receiving the same 2 mV signal(AC) right? But again we would have amplified it to say 200mV, which would ride on the 10 Volts right? THEN APPLYING the amplified output to the output capacitor will make sense to get an AMPLIFIED, "AC" output ?
Is this inference correct?
EDIT: So to understand this, can i say the amplification happens between the input and output capacitors, and at the output the capacitor brings back the AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back