Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternatives to ExpressPCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

I have my board laid out in ExpressPCB (trying to use DipTrace, but I've just started to learn it). It is exactly their miniboard size - 3.8" x 2.5". I need one, but using their miniboard service is the cheapest. But its still $90! Is there another way I can get a board of that size for less? I've always used ExpressPCB, but lost my job and the new one doesn't pay as much.

Look at Oshpark. No I don't work for them.

Ditto for OSH. Dirty PCB if you need a lot of boards at a cheap price (or bigger boards where it would be too expensive through OSH park).

$99? ExpressPCB Miniboard's cost for three is $51+shipping...usually $60 total.

Ken

The OP referred to "miniboard" in the first post.

Ken
Exactly what I said. Pro is an option in their mini board service. It adds silkscreen and solder mask.

Three boards from what I've looked at Oshpark, looks like $45 minimum, sans shipping.
Dirty PCBs looks like $28 (and free shipping) for 10 boards (I need one for a prototype)
Three Boards from ExpressPCB basic (no soldermask or silk screen) is $51, but add about $15 shipping.

Does that sound about right. The other factor is the learning curve for DipTrace, which I'm finding large.

Last edited:
Where are you? In looking back at my total for miniboards was $59. Shipping can be a big factor if you are outside the States.

Ken

Shipping from Oshpark is free if you don't need it in a rush

Where are you? In looking back at my total for miniboards was $59. Shipping can be a big factor if you are outside the States.

Ken
I'm in Boston. My basic min board total with shipping is (rounded) $66. The mini board pro (add silkscreen and solder mask) is $90.

The current issue with Osh and Dirty PCB is creating the schematic in a format they understand. I am still trying to do that with DipTrace.

Oshpark will take gerbers from eagleCAD or Kicad. Kicad is my preference.

Kicad will run under Ubuntu if you have that.

Completed PCB design in DipTrace and successfully ran auto-route. Found an article on Oshpark's site on preparing files from DipTrace for submittal. Then, successfully created a project on Oshpark!
Thanks for your guidance thus far...

dj

Awesome. Wish you success in your project.

Please share some photos of your completed project we would love to see it.

Inq

PCB_Bottom.PNG
PCB_Top.PNG

How about getting ten single digit PCBs for $10 using Seeed's deal for boards up to 5x5cm in size? A little more work mounting the boards side by side but you can't beat the price.

You would need to design the board for all seven/eight diodes and simply install the diodes necessary to display the '1', '2', '3', or '4'...

Actually, your design would be simple enough to hand wire on a proto-board. Spiff it up by gluing a plastic laminated paper silkscreen layer printed from DipTrace onto the prototype board.

4-Digit #2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea, one that I will keep in mind. But the whole point was to have a single board.

I'm not sure what you mean by "simply install the diodes necessary". Did you mean resistors? My design started that way, but when I only included the holes for the needed resistors, it simplified the board.

It also allows me to include the one connector to the logic board, which has a matching 6 position on it. Less wires; one ribbon cable.

But the price is attractive... I feel a redesign is possible.

What a great idea. No, like the original Lockout, I envisioned one board for the logic with a separate display board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back