Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aircraft air core instrument driver circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I have some aircraft instruments I'd like to be able to use, a couple are ww2 and I'd lik to keep them original, I dont mind bypassing the internal circuit but I dont want to go to the stage of fitting a servo.
I have used the lm1819 to drive air core instruments, in fact I had a couple of boards from old guages with them on, however I'm finding ti difficult to get them now for less than silly money.
Is there a replacement to this ic, or does anyone know of a schem for a simplish circuit to generate the sine and cosine signals.
Maybe I should write some code to do it.

That's a rather specialized IC. This search turned up some other ICs for an air core meter driver. Perhaps one of those would work for you .

I'd not come across these before and wonder whether they always need two sine/cos waves or will two DC currents still give 360 movement? Could these be driven with two pwm outputs and two H-bridges?

Out of curiosity, could you post some pictures of the instruments?

Mike.

will two DC currents still give 360 movement?
Isn't that what the sine/cos drivers provide (albeit with selectable polarity)? As I understand it the magnitude of the current is a sine/cos function of the angle you want the pointer to turn to.
Could these be driven with two pwm outputs and two H-bridges?
Don't see why not.

Thanks cruts for some reason I didnt find some of those.

Pomm, go back to the link cruts posted and looks at the youtube vid, you can see on his 'scope the drive waveform for a vehicle air core guage, I was wondering if a squarewave would work too, and it obviously does, this is the avenue I'll take methinks, these old plane guages were probably designed for sine and cosine wave, but I bet they'll work as well or better with squares.

**broken link removed**

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back