Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Agilent separates Electronics Measurment Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think changing a company name and email address is not a good idea. It takes years to build up a name and reputation. Quick who makes good (o-scopes, signal generators, meters, production testers, etc)? I probably have 20 pieces of HP and Agilent equipment.

In this area HP and Agilent are in the same town.
Agilent and Keysight are in the same building. With walls dividing. The bathrooms are common.
Last month some engineer put up signs in the bathrooms above the stalls. Keysight, Agilent. You need to have a matching badge to sit in the right spot.
Management and engineers just don't see funnies the same way.

Ron

Agilent is about a mile away. They didn't before they moved to that location and they don't make any Electronic Measurement Products.

When they spun off the printers, HP was a trusted name and they said it would be easier for the scientific community to adapt. HP for the measurements division would have been more fitting since Hewlett and Packard started with, I think, an audio oscillator. So, the consumer side got the HP name.

These divisions are unique, although I don't think they are divisions, but rather separate entities. There have been so many name changes/mergers in the electronics field. PMI and Analog devices were somewhat hampered because of competing technologies that were probably better off merged. Not crazy about Ti gobbling up National Semiconductor.
And the list goes on.

The signs are funny/

Agilent is about a mile away. They didn't before they moved to that location and they don't make any Electronic Measurement Products.
Where? Singapore? Nothing made here.
Agilent is real big in DNA and medical.

East Coast USA. How about Gas Chromatagraphs? I can confirm that they manufacture in that facility.

Last edited:
Here we have a 177 acre campus with about 1 million square feet of buildings. The temporary buildings are gone. Its a ghost town.
The neighboring towns have closed down their campuses. sold or torn down

In Colorado the government demands taxes and empty industrial buildings. Many have been flattened and converted back to farm land to stop taxes.
The Loveland Agilent campus is the only example I can think of where the city let the buildings stand with out taxes.
Anyone want some low cost rent? I think there are tax breaks included! There is a large (aging) population of (semi retired) hi-tech workers.

More MBA (Management By Asshol*) crap! I was an HP employee while the founders still ran it. I'm glad I bailed before the company got run into the ground by "maximize shareholder value" (and my bonuses) crowd...

None of the companies are the same: Hp and their equivalents, Tek, Keithley. At one time fixing their stuff was pretty easy and most repairs were mechanical.
But fixing ANYTHING these days is down right impossible. I have to try to delve into an Epson all in one printer repair. The repair manual needs to be in color, but seems to be very good, but still not component level. One part has to be thrown away and replaced when it;s taken apart. Replacing the printer means the ink isn;t available locally. The "test and reset program" is available with a lot of contortions to get it. Reality says, I have to replace the image sensors. I "COULD" replace the waste tank reservoirs. The ink is so expensive - 5 cartridges for like $80, but it has a ADF and flatbed scanner, CD printing. Letter and Legal and FAX, but won't do duplex copying or duplex faxing.

Talking to Epson is like talking to a rock though. They liked my suggestion, but that's it. It's nearly impossible to scan a duplex page and all they would really have to do is allow a suffix. e.g. Name +number+suffix instead of Name+3 digit number and nothing. It would be so easy to scan as two jobs: filexxxA and filexxxB so the results are:
File000a.pdf - sude 1, sheet 1 front
File000b.pdf - side 2, sheet 1 back
File001a.pdf - side 1, Sheet 2 front
etc.

Then it's so easy to combine. Instead you have to go through all sorts of contortions to modify the filenames automagically.

It's also a shame that their software doesn't work. A mix of landscape and portrait changes the page size and orientation, It's a real mess.

It really would be cool to use the copy mode, but print to a laser printer.

I still like old stuff although I wish I had access to a machine shop.

Sorry for the digression.

As for ghost towns, two auto plants closed. One is a University research campus. The other, who knows., but the state has been paying it's utilities while mothbolled. it has an owner now, but the future is undecided. One idea someone came up with is to use it as a port to rail to distribution center since it has the rail stuff in place, Another area, pat of a well known company was sold and it is mostly as office park. No tenants because the owner/developer wants to do something else with it.: A shopping center. It may turn into a school, though. K-12. Ghosttown shopping centers are wierd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back