Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice please making PCBs using Press n Peel film

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I have successively used Press n peel to make at least 2 double sided PCBs several years ago.
But over the last few days, I have been trying without success to do another PCB & don't know why it is not working.

I followed the Press n Peel instructions.
i.e. I rubbed the bare copper with steel wool, then washed it with soap & water, then washed the soap off and dried it with a lint free cloth.
But after much ironing, only a few slight traces of tracks were visible.

I also used a procedure I found on an electronics forum which is essentially the same but it uses isopropyl alcohol rather than soap & water. The result was slightly better, but certainly not adequate.

I really don't know why it worked previously but not this time. I used the same HP Laser printer.

I also heard that the PCBs can be made by simply printing the image of paper rather than the P n P film. But apparently it takes a lot of work to remove the paper. However, if it works, I will do it that way.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

I once had problems like you describe which turned out to be burring on the edges. Filing each edge was all that was required.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, but have already done that. All that I get on the PCB is a few faint tracks.
I think it is due to the way I'm cleaning the copper as I said in the post. I also tried using isopropyl alcohol but had a similar result.

Try using scotchbrite (eg. nylon pan scourer) rather than steel wool - that may be roughening the surface of the copper too much?
Also try kitchen towel for drying, in case the cloth has some residue such as fabric conditioner.

Be careful not to touch the copper surface at all after cleaning it, just a fingerprint can make a mess of a degreased surface.

Try using scotchbrite (eg. nylon pan scourer) rather than steel wool - that may be roughening the surface of the copper too much?
Also try kitchen towel for drying, in case the cloth has some residue such as fabric conditioner.

Be careful not to touch the copper surface at all after cleaning it, just a fingerprint can make a mess of a degreased surface.
Thanks for the reply. I did use scotchbrite 2 or 3 times but still had similar results.
Then I re-read the instructions that came with the PnP which said clean the copper with steel wool, SOS or Brillo pads. I don't know what SOS or Brillo pads are. It said to wash the board with soap & water, remove all soap residues then dry with a a lint-free cloth. My wife gave me what she said is a lint-free cloth.
So I did it that way & the result was worse. However, I found a hint somewhere that said to use acetone.

My wife thinks I may have used her acetone some years ago. So I'll try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back