Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advice on FT232rl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have two tries at soldering the FT232rl. Both tries have failed misserably. I suspect they both failed because I managed to latch them up.

Last time I had a short between the supply rails however this time it was between 3.3v and D- (usb). I get a 5v between gnd and 3.3v pin. The shorts were identified whilest the chip wasn't powered on.

I have now purchased a 10x loupe but can't find any solder bridges. I have cleaned away any flux residue.

The chip is self powered using 7805CV regulator. According to the datasheet when the chip is used in self powered mode, you connect a voltage divider to the reset pin. This is to supply the usb transceiver/ pull up 3.3v. The divider is powered by usb bus.

Wikipedia says that using multiple supplies that don't come on in the right order can cause latch ups. I was wondering is this what I'm doing wrong? Would it be easier to just leave it as powered by the usb bus (default).

I know there's a 4 second rule when soldering. If you do go over 4seconds could that cause a latch up?

Last edited:
it happens when we learn soldering, that too ssop chips.
After examination try to power up and check. Try to see some youtube videos on soldering at home the SSOP chips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0AVuqSZvg4

In case you need outputs to a circuit that works on 3.3V, then you have to connect pin 4(Vcc IO) to pin17(3.3V)

if you need outputs at TTL levels , pin4 is to be connected to pin 20(Vcc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back