Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice Needed: Wiring 3-prong on/off switch to vehicle battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan D

Hello everyone...

Got myself in to a small project and I'm trying to avoid any more mistakes being the electronic wiring novice. If you have a moment and can offer advice, please read on.

Below is a sad example of a picture product by my cell phone showing the setup. I've labeled everything as best I can, but if more information is needed please advise and I'll post back.

I'm in the middle of building a small stereo system housed in a fork bag for my motorcycle.

I have some 10ga wire running directly from the + post on my battery (15amp in-line fuse in place) to the "POWER" prong on the on/off switch (shown in red below).

I have the center prong going directly to the plug on the amp providing power to the unit (in green below).

And then finally, the right-hand prong I currently have running back to the battery negative post (in blue below), and here is where I think I'm going wrong.

This blue line prong is labeled "Ground"... which leads me to believe I should ground the wire to the frame as I have the ground wire from the amp. For some reason I've run this wire to the negative battery terminal under the thought process that I have the power wire coming in to the switch from the positive battery terminal, so I have to have the ground wire going back to the negative terminal.

Should I ground the wire to the frame as the switch is labeled (and how common sense is prompting me to post this for advice), or am I right in running it back to the battery?

Sorry for the elementary question -- it took me forever to find a forum for wiring so I hope you all bear with me here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bryan

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 351
It doesn't really matter. The ground wire for the switch is just for the light bulb in the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back