Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice needed. Dc-Dc converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenuk

Hi. I'm building electrics in my camper van. I brought a 12v to 5v converter from Amazon to wire up a 5v unit to my 12v leisure battery. I wired it incorrectly at first by wiring it in reverse. When I wired it up currently it
16457315877691820595926305326593.jpg
started to burn. So I have sent the item back. But I was wondering if this was a result of a faulty item or by what I did?

Thank you

Stephen

90%+ what you did. Wiring the input backwards probably blew some component inside, possible creating a short circuit. When you wired the right way, it just short circuited itself and burned something else.

90%+ what you did. Wiring the input backwards probably blew some component inside, possible creating a short circuit. When you wired the right way, it just short circuited itself and burned something else.

I would have gone for 99%+ :D

It's almost always catastrophic to connect power the wrong way.

There are lots of devices that have reverse polarity protection in them, but cheaply-made converters like that tend not to be protected.

LED car bulbs are usually protected, because they are replacing a component that would work either way round. Some will even work both ways round.

Very low power devices are often protected, as all that is needed is a diode. Higher power devices like that converter would loose a lot of power in heat if an extra diode were to be added, and other solutions are expensive, so it is the kind of device that will be damaged.

It is Chinese. They saved a 10 cents cost by not including an idiot diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back