Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advanced circuit design book suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnicalEngine

I have lots of questions about advanced electronic technics, here is the one of them:
I have searched for a book that includes complicated designs and schematics like cell phone's and many other devices also i've searched it for helps and teachs "how to use microcontrollers, eeproms, timers and other things with analog components in a circuit ? " but i can find only simple analog circuit components properties, some basic definitions and some calculations about connecting components etc.

Finally, i want to learn smart phone's motherboard design process, selecting manufacturer for components process. For example i want to build compass circuit that analyze directions then show the right direction on the lcd screen. For this small project what is the right process of selecting components, designing schematic, selecting manufactuters and programming the chip. I really wonder is there a book teaching this process? Becuse that type of book i'm really looking for.

Thanks for your helps! :)

For general electronics, The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is still the Bible. This will teach you all you need to know about the basics of electronics. As for cell phone design, much of this is intellectual property so is the property of Apple and Samsung (other cell phone manufacturers are available...) and is a closely guarded secret.

In addition, the high volume designs (cell phones, TVs, audio) use Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs) which are custom chips often designed specifically for that company only. This is a good way of burying intellectual property inside silicon and keeping it away from competitors. the ASIC manufacturer will only sell to one customer, so if a competitor disassembles their phone, they still cannot do anything about copying the design, because most of the IP is in the ASIC.

The web is also a good place to start. Look for Teardown reports. these will tell you what chips are inside phones, but it will not give you a circuit diagram

Finally, i want to learn smart phone's motherboard design process, selecting manufacturer for components process. For example i want to build compass circuit that analyze directions then show the right direction on the lcd screen. For this small project what is the right process of selecting components, designing schematic, selecting manufactuters and programming the chip. I really wonder is there a book teaching this process? Becuse that type of book i'm really looking for.

You can do your example on a Raspberry Pi. Forget phones.

Thanks for your replies guys.
Dear simonbramble, I'm looking forward to find some schematic documents to understand how they are works but -as you mentioned before- some manufacturer companys designs chips for only one company. For example infineon ltd has a gps chip which is used in iphone 5 but i could not find component's datasheet at manufacturer's own website. So can't do anything with some iphone schematics.

Dear flatfootskier, Raspberry Pi and Arduino are good development boards but some disadvantages of these. I use altium and i want to transfer my designes to pcb. But with arduino or Raspberry Pi you can design your circuits in your breadboard or -i remember one time i saw people and they integrate their own pcb's to top of the development board- that makes your designs more non-aesthetic, so i prefer design with using Arduino or Raspberry Pi's like microcontroller and with any other components. Thus all components are in one circuit and our designs will look more pretty. Also I don't care any smart phone or cell phone motherboard circuit or any type of this logic boards, i just want to learn how they are made ? How they are designed ? What is the process for these designes ? I just want to learn the answers of these questions.

Also I don't care any smart phone or cell phone motherboard circuit or any type of this logic boards, i just want to learn how they are made ? How they are designed ? What is the process for these designes ? I just want to learn the answers of these questions.

Then go to a good University and get an electronics degree - it's not something you're going to learn from a book, and even a degree is only a start towards it.

You are right. It's kinda impossible thing to learn high level electronics in a basic electronic books. I look at at your tutorial's website and i want to say, this tutorials very helpful for the PIC programming. Have a good day :)

At the risk of stating the obvious, complicated things are made up from many simple things.

For example, I recently designed and built a PIC based controller which took inputs from a joystick, and provided a PWM output to two motor speed controllers.
The design was not just one big amorphous blob of code and hardware, it was divided up into obvious self contained blocks with defined interfaces between them.

The whole thing went something like this:
Read the analog outputs from the joystick.
Do some error checking to see that the analogs are within normal ranges.
Compare the analogs with various setpoints to determine how the motors should be driven. (forward/reverse)
Calculate the values to send to the PWM module in the PIC.
Drive the hardware motor driver units with PWM and direction signals.
Drive an LCD diagnostic display with meaningful information for faultfinding if (when) it goes wrong.
Implement various hardware and operator protections.

The thing was made from small self contained hardware and software modules, each fairly simple in its own right, but when brought together, perform a complex task.

Could you find a book describing how to do the whole task? Most unlikely.

Could you fing a book which described how to do each of the small tasks? Almost certainly.

When you know the basics, you can use them a building blocks for something bigger.
And if you don't know how the basics work, how the hell do you expect to use them to do a bigger task?

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back