Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adapters with More Voltage than Advertised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or alternatively we could adopt Colins approach and just call each other all the useless idiots under the sun.
What does every one think?

Sure. But I had better get a participation trophy for it! :p:rolleyes:

To test a 12V 800mA adapter, load it with R=E/I = 12/0.8 = 15Ω. Note that you will need a P=IE=0.8*12= 9.6W resistor if left connected for more than a few seconds.

If you are powering an electronic device that has built-in voltage regulation, then don't worry about the no-load or light-load voltage coming out of the adapter; the voltage regulator will take care of it...

Hi I have purchase a guitar effects rack off eBay and it came without an adapter. It requires 12 volts DC, (sleeve negative, 700 mA). I purchased an adapter from an online electronics retailer, 12 volts 800 mA, along with a 9 volt DC adapter for a midi controller pedal also from eBay. (The midi pedal requires 9 to 12 volts DC, mA unknown, it's not in the manual online either, so I got a 500 mA adapter, I figured that would be enough to power a basic midi pedal).

Just plug it in and start jamming. It's rock 'n' roll!*

If your numbers are correct, you shouldn't have had any problems. The moment you start geeking-out about numbers is the moment the music in you dies.
That's why manufacturers put numbers on products, so you don't have to go online and read endless debates from people who know too much about electronics :) !
If it starts to smoke, either your numbers are wrong or you have some really good licks going on.

* or classical, or blues, folk, prog, flamenco...

The product that says it needs 12VDC at a certain current needs a 12VDC regulated voltage.
The product that says it needs 9V to 12V DC without saying its current will be fine using an unregulated 9VDC adapter.

The moment you start geeking-out about numbers is the moment the music in you dies.

Unfortunately for too many geeking out on largely unfounded what-ifs conjured form wildly imagined worst case scenario theories that are rooted in nothing but their own poor understandings/misunderstood information of the issue never gets them to the point of ever hearing any music. :(

The product that says it needs 12VDC at a certain current needs a 12VDC regulated voltage.
The product that says it needs 9V to 12V DC without saying its current will be fine using an unregulated 9VDC adapter.

I can't see any rational basis for making this claim.

AG, it is well known that you are a crusty argumentative old devil,:eek:
So what we have is a devil and a devil's advocate?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back