Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

acquisition time in oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi,

Please have a look at the attachment.

It says that the acquisition time is 5 ms and to me it means that it takes 5 ms to finish the processing of a sample. In one second only 200 samples could be handled.

Sampling rate is 2 Million samples per second. Record length is 1 Million samples. The intake of samples is 2 Million per second and Record length (i.e. memory) is 1 Million samples and outgoing samples are only 200 then how come the memory of 1 Million samples is enough. Where am I going wrong with this? Please guide me. Thanks.

Attachments

• acuisition_time.jpg
    acuisition_time.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 181
Thanks.

But when I said "200" I was referring to "5 ms" acquisition time for a sample. 200 = 1/5*10^-3.

says that the acquisition time is 5 ms and to me it means that it takes 5 ms to finish the processing of a sample. In one second only 200 samples could be handled.[/unquote]

I'm having trouble figuring out what you're confused about. Let me ask you this question, how long do you think the record length is IN TIME (not in samples)?

It says the acquisition time is = record length / sample rate.

The 5mS states is an example based on other example values and not a fixed time.
At 200 Million samples per second and using 1 MByte sample memory, the full memory represents a 5mS section of the waveform.

The "acquisition time" is the total duration of samples is can store at whatever sample rate is in use, for a given memory size.
If you were sampling at 100KHz with 1 MByte sample memory, the acquisition time would be ten seconds; that's the time taken to fill the display buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back