Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Achieving a transmission data underwater at 100 mts depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever wonder about communication with submarines? I know aircraft have been used, all you do is get above the sub area and deploy a long wire antenna, about six miles long. Pretty simple huh? Communication at a depth of 100 meters is not going to be easy, even wired. Figure roughly atmospheric pressure is about 14.6 PSI. That pressure increases about 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters so at about a depth of 100 meters that is about 146 PSI or 10 atmos of pressure on whatever is down there. Tethered maybe to a surface buoy may work.

Ron

Ever wonder about communication with submarines? I know aircraft have been used, all you do is get above the sub area and deploy a long wire antenna, about six miles long. Pretty simple huh? Communication at a depth of 100 meters is not going to be easy, even wired. Figure roughly atmospheric pressure is about 14.6 PSI. That pressure increases about 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters so at about a depth of 100 meters that is about 146 PSI or 10 atmos of pressure on whatever is down there. Tethered maybe to a surface buoy may work.

Ron
It's called a VLF drogue or trailing antenna. Imagine how careful you would have to be circling the aircraft so that you don't get tangled or caught up in your own antenna. A 30kHz, quarter wave antenna is 2500 meters. Lower frequencies are even longer so if your depth is only 100m, well...you might as well just use a cable rather than trailing out a 2500m long wire antenna behind your ship (as well as from your submerged device).

I'd go with a floating radio buoy at the surface connected to the submerged device with a data cable, personally.

sP4W9Sq.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for your responses. The main objectif with this project is to locate an object underwater, so the use of a cable is not an option. I did a deeper research on acoustics and I found an interesting technique for underwater localisation: Ultra-short baseline or USBL (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-short_baseline). The problem is this technique requires the use of several hydrophones and transducers, wich are a little bit expensive (~$300-$400/each). By any chance, do you know any provider that would offer low-cost underwater acoustic stuff? (I've been checking on Benthowave.com but they don't show the prices and I've already send them an email; I'm waiting for their response).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back