Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Resource icon

Accurate 1-second periods with any xtal 2011-02-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Mr RB submitted a new article:

Accurate 1-second periods with any xtal - Here are some easy C code examples to generate 1-second (or any period) from any xtal value and any

Here are some easy C code examples to generate 1-second (or any period) from any xtal value and any interrupt period.

The code is performed in an interrupt, and only needs one variable to generate the desired period.

A simple example is a PIC running at 4MHz xtal, which is 1MHz on Timer0 (set to 1:1 prescale). In this example the interrupt occurs every 256 counts, and a second would be 1 million counts;

Code:
	// C code for a 1 second period with a 1MHz timer (4MHz xtal);
	//...

Read more about this article...

Hi Birdman, sorry I didn't state that very clearly. I meant that the third example is easier to convert to assembler because the main variable fits in a 2byte (unsigned int) variable instead of 3 or 4 bytes needed for the unsigned long var in assembler.

But with a 2byte variable 1 second = 62500 so it is not as finely tuneable as the top example. It is still tunable to within about 1.5 seconds a day which is better than most household clocks. :)

Hi
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to C. Are there any "packages" of code which I might use to vary timings related to bottle filling? I was thinking of using an old (ancient!) laptop to give a more accurate fill-level than the timer circuit I currently use.
Many thanks, and best regards
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back