Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accumulation of coal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you should ask a chemist.

However, as Carbon Monoxide is usually a product of incomplete combustion, as long as the coal is not burning you should be OK!

While Carbon Monoxide is found in coal mines, a quick search with Google did not find any reference to Carbon Monoxide from stored coal.

JimB

shannu said:
Hi,
I just need to know whether accumulation of coal in larger amount produces carbon monoxide?
hi,
The only instance I can recall is when coal is stored in very large heaps/piles.

You can get 'internal combustion' self heating of the pile, which if is hot enough can produce carbon monoxide, resulting from incomplete burning due to lack of oxygen in the piles core.

Old coal colliery waste tips can burn internally for years.

What's the risk of a CO gas leak from an abandoned pit?

It's not something I've heard of.

Hero999 said:
What's the risk of a CO gas leak from an abandoned pit?

It's not something I've heard of.
Very high, especially if the pit/mine is on fire:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_mine_fire

Mine fires are more frequent and ubiquitous than you hear about. They're the darkside of coal mining (you know, as oppose to the cheery notion of spending a life's work in the bowels of the planet), and burn for centuries, since they're impossible to put out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back