Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC speed controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

Does anyone know how I can make a speed controller for an AC moter.
It works on 230V with a current of 0.17A and a power of 39W.

Hi shadow,

The easiest way of electronically controlling the power feed to a motor is via solid-state thyristor devices such as SCRs or triacs. I'm giving you a simple ckt built around a SCR. Control element is SCR which feeds 1/2 power to the motor (this results in only a 20% or so reduction in maximum available speed/power), but in the off 1/2 cycles the back emf of the motor is sensed by the SCR & used to give auto adjustment of the next gating pulse,to give auto speed regulation. I do not know what your requirement is but this ckt provides a high torque under low speed conditions. Hope this will help you

Attachments

• AC_motor_speed_controller.jpg
    AC_motor_speed_controller.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 600
Only some AC motors can be controlled by the simpler methods - chopping off part of each cycle. Many AC motors do not respond well to this and require full voltage - to adjust the speed of these motors requires that the frequency be varied.

The RPM of many AC motors is linked to the number of poles and the frequency of the supply voltage. In order to reduce the RPM the frequency must be reduced, not the voltage.

Some of the simpler speed controls (using a pot) do not vary the frequency but rather chop the waveform so that the RMS voltage or total power is reduced. Some universal or similar AC motors are voltage dependent and can be controlled this way - many are not. My only concern is that the motor is compatible with the method being used to reduce the RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back