Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravi

Friends :)

I have a AC relay (OMRON Model MK3P-I).This is a tripple pole-tripple throw. Contacts are rated at 10Amps.I'm not very familier with AC relays & its operation. I have no problem of identifying the pin connections but have few quetions.

1. When conected to a AC line won't the relay goes no/off,on/off due to the positive and negative half cycles of the AC. Do I have to connect a diode in series with the coil, to cut one half of the AC cycle.

2. What is the normal pull in voltage of a AC relay.

3. Can this be directly connected to a normal AC power line or do I have to drop the voltage.(Coil is rated @ 240VAC)

4. Can anybody suggest a link or site to get more info. on OMRON relays

Have a nice Day :!:

1. No. The relay will work fine with AC. The alternating direction of current flowing in the relay coil doesnt matter, the coil is attracting (magnetically) a piece of steel.

2 Theres no normal pull-in voltage for an AC relay, it depends on the voltage rating of the particular relay you have.

3. If your relay COIL is rated for 230 volts AC, this is the voltage required by this particular relay to operate. Do not confuse this with the CONTACT voltage and current rating of the relay which is a different matter entirely.

Many thanks for your valued information friends.

If one is to physically inspect an AC relay, they will see a what looks like a
copper ring on the top of the core. This ring is called a shader ring. What it does is essentially holds a portion of the magnetism in the core as the AC voltage decreases to 0 volts. On 60 Hz this is 120 times a second.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back