Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ac generater

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

Hey Everyone i was just wondering if there was a way to make a simple ac generater that can light a a light bulb i know when a coil of wire cuts a magnetic field voltage is induced in the coil or wire. this is just a school project on how electricity can be generated.

Thanks alot

Sure you can make a small alternator with a couple of components and a few pieces of plastic or wood and some epoxy or fiberglass resin to hold the rotor together.

WARNING THIS IS FOR LOW RPMS DO NOT TRY 1000 RPMS AND EXPECT IT TO HOLD TOGETHER

what you need (materials)........
1. good magnets (neodymiumboride or whatever you can get)
2. magnet wire I suppose 22Ga would work
3. 3/8" or 1/2" steel shaft about a foot long
4. some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or plastic synboard
5. a couple of automotive sealed ball bearings to fit the steel shaft
6. fiberglass resin
7. assorted hardware / wood screws and bolts / nuts
8. ferrous metal for polecaps / magnet holders

(tools)
1. drill
2. coping saw
3. hole saw
4. wrenches / screwdrivers / pliers etc...
5. V.O.M.

Start out by cutting some disks out of the synboard or plywood for your rotor, the amount of disks depends on the size of your magnets, if you get 1 1/2" "hockey puck" magnets then you would cut out enough disks to make your rotor 3" thick.

the shaft goes through this rotor so you need to drill a hole through your disks, just big enough for a tight fit on the shaft.

then you bolt the disks together on the shaft, set this aside while you build the bearing supports.

the bearing support blocks need to be tall enough to support the rotor with enough clearance to clear the stator coils.

the stator coils, amount, size, shape, and wraps depend on the magnets you have, if the magnets are round 1 1/2" then you know where to start with your coils, just as a guess I would say 75 wraps per coil will be plenty.

you need to fasion a base that will fit the stator mounts, the bearing blocks and be the correct width for the rotor.

once you get to this point you are ready to bore holes for the magnets in the rotor, the magnets will need to fit tightly into the bored holes, then you need to saturate the surface of the rotor magnet holes with epoxy or resin, then attach the ferrous metal pole plates and screw them in place.

the resin is also good for the coils to keep them from un wrapping.

this should give you a good start, and if you need more information on alternators etc... I suggest studying the work of Nicola Tesla ( Einstien was reportedly reading a Tesla writing when he died)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back