Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC + DC power combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bijoy rahman

Hi

I am currently working on a project for which I need a circuit which will be capable of combining an AC and a DC power source to an AC or DC power source.

**The range is 2~20 V DC + 200V AC = 200V to 300V AC or DC (AC preferable)

**Both of those source power required in output.

Input and output frequencies, input and output currents (all four of them), environment, quantity, safety certifications?

ak

Welcome to ETO, Bijoy!

I'm not sure I understand your circuit needs.

Could you draw us a picture or perhaps a block diagram?

<EDIT> Plus parameters ak listed.

Hi

I am currently working on a project for which I need a circuit which will be capable of combining an AC and a DC power source to an AC or DC power source.

**The range is 2~20 V DC + 200V AC = 200V to 300V AC or DC (AC preferable)

**Both of those source power required in output.

Well, when you add a DC voltage to an AC voltage, you get an AC voltage with a DC offset, such that the positive and negative peaks are no longer equal.

Is that what you're looking for? If not, then you need to give us a lot more info as to what your needs are.

I am actually want to combine a battery power with our 220V 50Hz power supply and get output of 220V 50Hz AC power supply(a new combined source).

** e.g. 20 watt DC power + 50 watt Ac power = 70 watt AC power source.
Please give me suggestion how I can do this. I don't have much knowledge about circuit design.

As Chris said, "when you add a DC voltage to an AC voltage, you get an AC voltage with a DC offset, such that the positive and negative peaks are no longer equal."
What use is such a source? If you used it to drive an inductive load you could have problems because of the asymmetry causing magnetic saturation.

Make your DC power a 12V lead acid battery, use the incoming mains to feed a charger to charge the battery, and a 12V to mains sine inverter to give you mains from the battery.

Basically it's just an online UPS.

I couldn't store on battery. Because the DC source is some thing like solar panel. No storage system will not remain there.

Use the solar panel to charge the battery as well - solar panels on their own aren't much use, unless (as above) you use a grid tie inverter - but for a puny 20W it's not worth the effort.

e.g. 20 watt DC power + 50 watt Ac power = 70 watt AC power source.

There is a big difference between an input that can use wither of two different power sources, and one that sums the two sources. The first is a custom variation of a UPS. The second certainly is doable, but is more complex. Questions -

1. Can the AC input simply be passed through to the AC output, or does the AC output have to be independently generated?

2. Why is the AC input power so limited that it needs a boost from the input DC power?

Both of these might be misunderstandings of your requirements. If so, try again.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back