Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC 230V consumption measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivereath

Hi,

I'm working on a power measurement on 230V (Europe) with wireless data transmission. The wireless link (2.4GHz) is already working. I'm now looking for any way to measure power consumption on a single phase 230V 50Hz line.

I think that I will use a MCP3909 chip to get active & apparent power but I don't now which current sensor I should use.

I'm thinking about a simple shunt resistor, a current transformer or some kind of hall effect sensor. Shunt is the easy way to do it but this brings a voltage drop on a supply line and an additionnal power consumption (heating).

I don't know anything about current transformer only that secondary should not be left open (high voltage).

Hall effect would be perfect however I'm not able to find a small (it will used on a 10x10cm PCB) with low current consumption (max 10mA) and have a good accuracy (1% error max).

Has someone already done something like this ?

Thanks for your help !

Delivereath

The MCP3909 has an input amplifier and will work down to 30 mV so unless the current is very large there won't be much heating.

I appreciate that isolation for safety could be a problem, but as you are transmitting the data by wireless, that shouldn't matter.

Current transformers tend to be larger than shunts.

But how to get a complete range from 0.1W to 2kW ?

To get 30mV on the shunt with 0.1W on the load (0.435mA), the shunt should be a 70ohms resistor... And 70ohms with 1A does 70V drop.

**broken link removed**

Meets all your specs except has a 1.5% error.

That seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm just a bit surprised that this small chip can several amps without any problem...

In fact, there's still a sensivity problem. This IC has an output of 185mV/A. With 1mA output would be at 185uV and I can't measure this with MCP3909...

Last edited:
Umhhhh, please define 'error'. 1% of 2kW is 20W.

So you're looking for five digits of precision with two digits of accuracy. Is this sensible?

Well you're right. I can't measure a range from 1mA to 10A with a full-range error of 1%...

As I'm doing a home current consumption monitoring system, what would be an acceptable power sensitivity ? 0.1W, 0.5W, 1W ?

0.1W means a current of 0.43mA which is probably impossible to be measured with a hall effect sensor. 1W represents 4.3mA on 230V line.

Datasheet of Allegro ACS712 hall effect current sensor indicates a sensivity of 185mV/A but a noise of 21mV. So I will probably not be able to measure anything below the noise level. The problem is that 21mV with 185mV/A sensivity reprensents 114mA. Is it really the minimum I would be able to measure ? Or I'm wrong ?

Last edited:
Actually, the 185mV/A is for the 5A model. I think you need the 20A model which has even less sensitivity.

I think anything less than about 20W is not even worth measuring.

Buy a "plug in power meter" made in china, (i.e. **broken link removed**), take it apart and see how they do it?

Last edited:
The 20A model has a sensitivity of 100mV/A and a peak-to-peak noise of 11mv in a 2kHz bandwidth. You should be able to reduce that noise significantly by analog filtering the output since you only need about a 100Hz bandwidth to measure the powerline frequency current.

It's highly unlikely that the power consumption in a home ever drops below 10-20W due to all the various electronic vampires, chargers, and clocks plugged in. Even a modern refrigerator has electronics that are on all the time, even when the compressor is not running. Anything with a remote control generally uses at least 1W even when off.

But in the case I'm monitoring any mobile charger or small devices a range from 20W to 2kW won't be enough. As this kind of chargers can have a stand-by power of 1W. I think that 1W is the lowest value I will need to measure but this means that current will be 4mA.

I'm thinking about a multi-sensors solution like a hall effect sensor for high currents (>500mA) and a shunt resistor for small currents (<500mA) but I don't know exactly how to separate the two sensors and use only the one that is needed.

I think that I will try to use 2 MOSFETs to have a 230V switch. One line with a 10 ohms resistor and the other line with a hall effect sensor. I should be able to switch between both sensors depending one current (<100mA for shunt resistor, >100mA for hall effect sensor).

I've seen some 400V MOSFETs with 0.2ohm resistance when switched on with a 10amps current.

Do you think that this could be a solution ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back