Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About amps transformer rewinding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine going to the hossy to get a piece taken out of your eye and getting yer willy chopped off.
Cringe.

I'm trying not to imagine that right now. Thanks.:banghead:

why do you want to rewind? was it faulty ? if not
you can well get a new transformer made to suite your needs.
Finally if you really need to open it up,Initially check whether the bobbin is reacting to Thinner by placing a small dot of thinner on a corner.
Later, try soaking it in thinner in a closed chamber for a day and later the the core would become free for opening it.

wire would not be anymore useful and you need to go for fresh wire.

Good idea mvs, I'll remember that for future scavenging.
Do you mean cellulose thinner?

why do you want to rewind? was it faulty ? if not
you can well get a new transformer made to suite your needs.
Finally if you really need to open it up,Initially check whether the bobbin is reacting to Thinner by placing a small dot of thinner on a corner.
Later, try soaking it in thinner in a closed chamber for a day and later the the core would become free for opening it.

wire would not be anymore useful and you need to go for fresh wire.

Nice idea mvs, but the wire should be intact , i will need it to recognize turns and polarisation .

And after looking more on the trans i see that some of the external secondary wires are burned and cut , i hope the damage will be just on that part .

Nice idea mvs, but the wire should be intact , i will need it to recognize turns and polarisation .

And after looking more on the trans i see that some of the external secondary wires are burned and cut , i hope the damage will be just on that part .

perhaps a little more analysis, you could manage to release the outer insulation papers and replace only burnt copper wire by joining new similar wire and the joint can of course be sleeved.

this technique I saw when people repairing Variac toroid transformer . They didn't remove the whole winding at all

Of course you need operating margin between the core and the bobbin to do this without removing the core.
could you manage a crisp closeup photo of the transformer under question!!

Hi mvs

Reaching out to you here...cause I love you too :). I love all good people.
Anyway, the stuff you are talking about to "soak" the Chopper, is probably what we call "lacquer thinners"

Does that ring a bell??

Regards,
tvtech

Yes please. I meant lacquer thinner. It is risky , i know. That should be lost resort.
but if as per OP the trouble is in outer most layer of winding (presumably secondary), and primary is not damaged, perhaps he could manage the show by PARTIALLY REPLACING THE TURNS WITH NEW WIRE WITH A PROPER JOINT. This is possible if there is gap between the core and winding.

Perhaps he could judiciously avoid total opening up.

There you go mvs : the marked area is where the burn exists .

And i tried removing the glue on another SMPS transformer , result : still glued .

HuKPyvG.jpg

if the damage is external
, as long as wires are not broken , no hurry. if some wires fused,
as the damage is outside, perhaps you could salvage at around 1 cm from the place wires came out of the trafo, clean enamel, and loop them and use a thick copper lead to terminate.
IT would work fine as long as no damage inside the trafo.

btw, what is that single wire that was transiting from left to right side? Where does it go?
i suppose it to be one strand of the terminated wires at left bottom.

Hi Guys

My personal experience with Choppers is like this:

Over the past Eight or so years only one issue and only on a one particular CRT set...

What happens is the B+ pin on the Secondary goes dry jointed....and starts arcing..what happens is the Chopper takes strain...and eventually if left long enough will burn. Like I said in a previous thread...not the Choppers fault...arcing on the PCB causes this only on that pin.

I have saved two of these lovely sets now through Customers diligence of realizing something is wrong/smelling...and bring them in for repairs...

The third was too far gone...pin completely burned off and no wire to play with....and of course...no spares. Chopper TX not available...

A mission saving the two I did. But recoverable. And I can expect more failures here because there are stacks. I can try and warn the Customers...but they will probably not listen. As per Africa style...no Maintenance required...use it till it just stops working completely.

And they are nice flat screen Sansui 74 sets too.

Regards,
tvtech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back