Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a theremin kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I would like to make a theremin a fairly good one (I've seen some very minimal and half hearted projects proposed like not having both controls) without spending too much money say 30 £ possibly less, what should I get and where, as these things seem to be tricky I don't want to just buy the first peice of junk and get caught
thanks

thanks 29 £ complete and 14 £ for the kit looks a lot more encouraging than a kit all the way from australia for 60 £ they look the same anyway

Thunderchild said:
thanks 29 £ complete and 14 £ for the kit looks a lot more encouraging than a kit all the way from australia for 60 £ they look the same anyway

????? - assuming you mean Jaycar in Australia?, it is the same - the company is Australian, and (as far as I know) all orders come from there?. Have you been looking at Australian dollar prices?.

I thought Jaycar was only in Australia and New Zealand ?

Didn't know they have branches in the U.K.

RODALCO said:
I thought Jaycar was only in Australia and New Zealand ?

Didn't know they have branches in the U.K.

They don't, but they advertise in Practical Electronics, and have a .UK website (with prices in pounds) - but as far as I know all orders are dispatched from Oz?.

well there is a uk website and they seem to have branches in the usa as well, the prices were displyed £GBP although at one point it was displaying the same figures in $ but whatever i paid 14.75 British pounds for it I'll let you know where it came from when it arrives but the postage was 5 £, they seem like a very interesting company have some nice solar panel stuff

I think the various sites are only "currency sites" not really locations. If you check the stores link, you can only choose from either Australia or New Zealand.

I was given a DVD of the movie "Theramin" - while not terribly technical the history of the device is quite interesting. Robert Moog of Moog synthesizer fame had quite the interest in theramins and published an article in th 50's - complete with schematic. I googled on "theramin schematic" and found it.

It appears that one significant challenge with the original design is the radiation of RF - a theramin is simply two radio frequency oscillators on very nearly the same frequency - the difference being the audible note. The radio frequency of one oscillator is changed by the promity of the hand or other significant object.

stevez said:
I was given a DVD of the movie "Theramin" - while not terribly technical the history of the device is quite interesting. Robert Moog of Moog synthesizer fame had quite the interest in theramins and published an article in th 50's - complete with schematic. I googled on "theramin schematic" and found it.

It appears that one significant challenge with the original design is the radiation of RF - a theramin is simply two radio frequency oscillators on very nearly the same frequency - the difference being the audible note. The radio frequency of one oscillator is changed by the promity of the hand or other significant object.

In "Popular Electronics Magazine", There were Two Thermins Published. One was an RF Design as you mention above and the other was a Light Controlled Oscillator Design.

I built the RF one and it worked very good.
It had Tone Control with one hand and Volume control with the other hand. I MIGHT Still have that Magazine?

EDIT: You can Find it HERE:
http://www.uneeda-audio.com/
Have FUN!

Your Local "Public Library" Probably also has all of the Back Issuses of this Magazine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back