Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A PWM Control Project for Hydrogen Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an idle thought worth mulling over...

Why bother using an electrically powered air compresor
to lift the water,could not steam (indirectly) be used instead ?

**broken link removed**

Forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but this sounds like a **broken link removed** scheme. If you want to charge batteries, and your only source of free power is the sun, why don't you charge the batteries directly from the solar cells? Pumping water uphill and then recovering that energy when it falls is not a free source of energy.
Edit:
If you use the energy from falling water that is going to be used for irrigation or some other application, then maybe there is some point to doing this.

Ron H said:
Forgive me if I have misunderstood you, but this sounds like a **broken link removed** scheme. If you want to charge batteries, and your only source of free power is the sun, why don't you charge the batteries directly from the solar cells? Pumping water uphill and then recovering that energy when it falls is not a free source of energy.

As far as I was aware, and what I assumed, is that the reason is for storing power. You can store a LOT more energy in a 20,000 gallon tank of water 150m above you - you'd need a awful lot of lead/acid batteries to match it :lol:

And as you also surmised, the water could probably be used for irrigation as well.

"It not only ran the car, it generated the power to keep it going indefinately."
Very amusing. What you are saying is that he did not just build a perpetual motion machine but built a machine that creates energy out of thin air. If it takes Q amount of energy to pull the hydrogen and oxygen atoms apart, then putting them together will put out Q amount of energy. So where did the energy come from to power the car? "It was burned in the engine", you say. Last time I burned anything it created heat (sorry, have not done any cold fusion experiments yet). That heat which drives the mechanical device must all be recaptured to produce the new hydrogen/oxygen gas. If you extract all the heat there is no power left to drive the motor.
Otherwise you are pulling engergy out of thin air. Which, by the way, you can do. Just set a coil of wire under the high power transmission lines and connect a light bulb. The electric company will get very mad at you and have you arrested for stealing their commodity. You could also put up an antenna and capture all the useless radio waves (especially the ones used for television) and use that energy to make the gas.
It may be possible to reduce the losses in breaking water into its component gases but unrealistic to think you can reduce it to zero. Every electrical circuit has resistance which puts out heat. Going super cooled (<4 Kelvin) costs a lot in this global warming environment. Water molecules have a resonant frequency. Pumping energy into them at that frequency to heat it and break them into gas might take less power than just putting two electrodes in water and attaching a battery. It has already been done. It is called a microwave oven.
By the way, CARB insisted on "zero emission" cars (which essentially mandated electric power) not to cut pollution but to export the pollution to the states that generate the power. What better way to make california clean!

magno_grail wrote:
You could also put up an antenna and capture all the useless radio waves (especially the ones used for television) and use that energy to make the gas.
Careful, you'll have people asking you to post the schematics for this idea.

for those seeking more information about converting
radio waves back into electricity I shall post a little something
in the lair of the "EVIL GENIUS" in this forum.

Ron H. "Pumping water uphill and then recovering that energy when it falls is not a free source of energy."
That is exactly what they do in LA. They pump the water from Castaic reservior up to Pyramid reservior at night and drain it down during the day to generate electricity. The difference in cost of electricity between day and night makes it viable.

magno_grail said:
Ron H. "Pumping water uphill and then recovering that energy when it falls is not a free source of energy."
That is exactly what they do in LA. They pump the water from Castaic reservior up to Pyramid reservior at night and drain it down during the day to generate electricity. The difference in cost of electricity between day and night makes it viable.
That also was (still is?) done at San Luis Reservoir in northern California, but these facts are irrelevant to the current discussion.

Ram pumps are water pumping devices that are powered by falling water. The pump works by using the energy of a large amount of water falling a small height to lift a small amount of that water to a much greater height. In this way, water from a spring or stream in a valley can be pumped to a village or irrigation scheme on the hillside. Where ever a fall of water can be obtained, the ram pump can be used as a comparatively cheap, simple and reliable means of raising water to considerable heights

However..
You can see that the one big disadvantage of a ram pump
is that it wastes a lot of water. Typically about 10% of the
water it consumes actually makes it up the delivery pipe.
The rest flows out of the pump as the water builds momentum.

Flow is everthing, and in this case we have none. The water source
is from a borehole. So no free lunch pumping anything up hill :lol:

This is an ideal pump when a plentiful water source is available, it also
makes an the use of high speed turbine posibble in situations that would
normally require a large water wheel and associated gearbox.

Attachments

• rampump.jpg
    rampump.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 493
sorry i wasn't a bit more specific,
The 2 80 watt solar panels power a 1500 watt inverter which supplies power to a 10 cfm air compressor. The compressor powers the pulser bore pump which can lift water a kilometre up hill, the bore pump is a lift pump not a pressure pump. When I intend to send the water back over the hill I'll pipe the hoses over the lower part of the property so the pump won't be under to much stress. On the turbine and battery charging side I have 2 banks of 24 volt arrays which is 48 2 volt 600 amp hour batteries, I also have 10 60 watt solar panels on the roof of the shed.

Tanis as for using steam it wouldn't be practible as we are on a 100% fire ban for 5 months of the year. About 20 years ago a fire ripped thru our area and was called ash wednesday since then the govt comes down hard on people burning.

Cheers Bryan1

Who said anything about burning hydrocarbons?

Solar cells are not that efficient and with the losses
involved in using a power inverter, well I thought running
the pump DIRECTLY from solar thermal radiation was a
more elegant solution for Australia's "sunshine state"

Still, what do I know being a Pom and all on this grey, cloud
covered island where it rains all the time about solar power :lol:

H2o Car

Heres some fun plans for you guys to fiddle with;
**broken link removed**

Also read this, it states that there are 2 types of thermodynamics, one which is always in equilibrium with our environment (the one most commonly used) and another which is not in equilibrium with our environment, this constituted a way to get Free Energy from the environment.

As an example, simply place an electret or charged capacitor on a permanent magnet so that the electric field of the electret or capacitor and the magnetic field of the magnet are at right angles to each other. That silly thing will sit there and pour out EM energy in all directions, at the speed of light, so long as you just leave it alone and do not destroy it.

One year after you create it, its outpouring of energy will have reached a radius of one light year — out beyond the solar system — in all directions. It will have changed the energy density of that vast volume of surrounding space of one light-year radius. And it is still pouring out energy at the same rate, steadily changing the energy density of still more space.

Even the "conventional" electrodynamicists agree that a flow of EM energy is continuously emitted from that arrangement [20]. However, they are resoundingly silent on where that steady outpouring of EM energy comes from and how it is input to the charge or dipole.

Read more here... **broken link removed**

Re: reply

Roboticinfo said:
Hey newbie
do not post in old threads,

Try focusing on the new ones.
I dont believe there are ANY restrictions on bringing up old topics, and commenting on them , otherwise they would not be here..

:lol: there is a thead dedicated to that particular circuit and to date no member here has ever got it to work as advertised...

Contact me for the corrected circuit , all currencies and credit major cards accepted and get as a special bonus absolutly free of my E-book
"Ark of the Covenant II - Cell-phone of the Gods" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back