Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Dead Tektronix 2235A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi K.I.S.S.

As I suggested at the start of the thread, I'm a newbie in this field, my experience is more about things I can measure with a micrometer than an oscilloscope. I suppose I'm more of a 'mechanic' than a 'technician', but I like to learn new things (even at my age) and I'm just treating this as a challenge rather than a mission. I'm probably approaching this very differently from a properly trained person but for me it's just a bit of fun to keep the brain from drying up completely. I really appreciate all the excellent advice this forum provides.:D

Just having fun:)

Cheers,
Wayne

Powering up with the BULB trick or a variac is helpful...Good luck on the lytics replacement! Hope it goes well! Best wishes for you son as well. That is great he is getting married! Do keep us posted once you get that mosfet installed :)

If indeed you have a power supply problem, then the BEST plan of attack is to work on the power supply only "outside of it's environment. That is with loads attached at probably 80% of the rating, A lot of times, only one or two supplies need that load. Without it, the power supply can be damaged.

Switching supplies are a "tough beasts" to repair because usually it's all or nothing. Variacs won't usually help.

There is a large number of Tek products that are plagued with bad caps. They leak and destroy the traces. What this means is you can be led astray thinking your looking for a bad component when, in fact it's a "bad wire(PCB trace)".

Make sure you join the tekscopes group at groups.yahoo.com.

I can do both: mechanical and electrical. I had full machine shop privledges where I used to work. Well, almost full. The "director" of our department limited th access to the MIG welder. I did well before the restriction was in place. It was a "new toy" at that point and I got to take it for a test drive. I did well, once the machine was "set-up". I was the best at silver soldering.+

That's how I learned the milling machine. The setup had to be "approved" by the resident machinist before I could proceed. Later, I was one of the people who could provided that service after the machinist left.

yr location is shown as brissy. I am certain RS has an office there. I use mostly RS cos they are not too far away from me so I can order over the phone and they send the items to their office and I drop by and collect.
I have used farnel (element 14) and I find they have parts that RS doesnt. I used farnell for some special PCB sockets and some ferrite transformer cores. RS is pretty good with semiconductors. RS have a 'counter stock' so if you pick the right code no it is exstock. Both suppliers have a good datasheet system so parts they stock usually have a very competent data support. What shits me about bloody ebay is they just merchandise stuff. No specs;no guarantee, no help, nothing!!!
For stuff I do, price doesnt matter. The other day I needed a mosfet for an electric bike. My old(2013) printed RS catalog showed the price at about $8. When I actually went there, got the part, and tried to pay with a $10 note, they give me $5 note in the change. I fell over cos the mosfet was $3.70 something.
Price doesnt matter when stuff is so cheap.
KISS is no fool so listen to him too.
If I'm up your way, will look you up.

Hi Guys,

I've been on a few different forums for different hobbies over the years but the gang here take the prize for helpfulness and good humour! At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I can associate with you KISS. I've got a pretty well kitted out workshop in the back yard with metal lathe, milling machine, fluid-cooled metal cutting gear, MIG/TIG and stick welding not to mention my metal furnace and waste oil powered burner for melting and casting in alloys and brass. Then there's the stationary engine I rebuilt, the model railway (OO gauge) and my collection of antique clocks and pocket watches I've restored.

I can't understand these blokes who 'fall off the perch' from boredom when they retire. I can happily see myself tinkering away for many years with what I've accumulated.

When the shed get so full you just can't move.......................get a bigger shed!

Cheers everyone.
Wayne

I'd kill for a workshop like that. Have a Myford ML7 thread cutting lathe and do a fair bit with that. Classiest job I do is to make and replace new wear rings on my old irrigation pump; a Ritz model 45. Do a bit of woodwork for vacuum pneumatic systems as used on pianolas.
Hope the wedding goes OK

Fuse,buumm?!!! And again, pow?!!! This looks like a shorted diode on the power suply, or any active component in the same condition,this includes transistors,diodes,zeners, may be caps,but in this case tantalum caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back