Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A circuit that fires a single electron

Status
Not open for further replies.

insight

Hi,

Is it possible to design a circuit that would fire electrons strictly one by one, at an arbitrarily chosen time interval.

regards,
dejan

Such a big machine, to fire only one electron. Nay, I guess machine to do that would be quite small.

cheers, d.

As I vaguely recall from a long time ago, the big problem would be in localizing that single electron.

However, if you can accept an answer based on probability, one could dilute a beta-emitting isotope to such an extent that over any given period, on average, one electron would be emitted. How you would detect that in the presence of all of the background noise is another question. John

Hi Bill,

They are firing hole bunch of particles, not just one, in that circular thing.

There is a standard experiment in quantum mechanics where they fire electrons one by one. And they have detectors, that can detect single particle.

I was just curious. I would like to do some QM experiments, that are not too big, or too expensive. Just plainly weird. Kind of wanted to see that wave/particle duality for myself.

cheers, dejan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back