Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A brain storm regarding an extra laptop battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedillyoh

Hey there, all. I was hoping you might help me overcome my ignorance and get a better idea for the feasibility and obstacles involved in the possible conversion of an xpal XP18000 (universal battery thingy) into a second laptop battery.

Now, I know I just lost about half of you to the thought, "oh good, another cheapskate who thinks he can save a buck with electrical wizardry," but I don't really think that's the case. In truth, I doubt it would be cheaper than just buying an extra battery for the laptop--it just sounds fun and insightful.

Here is what I know to begin with. The laptop is an HP Envy 15 with an internal battery, and tabs for a 9-cell "slice" battery to sit under the laptop (some info on the battery here here). Any ideas what I'm looking at? My assumption is that the battery is a standard-ish Smart Battery Specification 1.1 setup, but I don't actually have any evidence to that fact; maybe wishful thinking.

I'll be thankful for any information you may have!

dilleh

making any thing a laptop battery is bad for your laptop. the battery has controlled voltages and moreover there are many positives and negatives in the battery. even if you make a alike one, it should be a lithium one, coz you need constant voltage and high current. so you must not mess up and experiment. i myself have a business of rebuilding the laptop batteries. if you have problems with your battery then I could rebuild yours too. my cost is $7.5 per cell and guarantee is 1 yr. but shipping is to the customer. so dont mess with your laptop when you have a cheap solution available!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back