Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a basic exam question about bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjon1

I was just going over some old exam questions for my exam on Monday (Measurement and fault finding class) and came across this:

What would a practitioner mean by B/W?

Now I'm thinking I'll just use the general definition for Bandwidth so something along the lines of:

the difference between the upper and lower cutoff frequencies of an electronic circuit/device.

But the problem is the question just before it asks "Define Bandwidth". Now since there is most likely a bunch of so called "practitioners" in these forums I'd be interested to know what you think. Since I dont really know what to say and cant just write the same answer again.

Thanks in advance.

Could it be they just want you to know that B/W is an abbreviation for BandWidth? Seems too simple, but there's no context to the question.

And what's a practitioner? Last time I checked, people that dealt with bandwidth the most were called engineers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
yeah, the lecturer for this class always produces vague questions, like in my last assignment there was a question "what must a technician have before he can fix a fault" how vague can you get.

a pair of hands
a brain

I didnt write that, but you get the idea.

A pair of eyes would be an even better start......

What would a practitioner mean by B/W?

Now I'm thinking I'll just use the general definition for Bandwidth so something along the lines of:

the difference between the upper and lower cutoff frequencies of an electronic circuit/device.

But the problem is the question just before it asks "Define Bandwidth".

Bandwidth is "BW", not "B/W".
"B/W" is used in reference to black and white TV as in "This is a B/W TV."
"B/W" is often used to describe a black insulated wire with a white stripe.
"B/W" can be used to refer to a pair of wires, one black and one white.

This answer must be correct because I am a practitioner, and this is "what I meant" and that is what the question asked.
You can print this and show it to your instructor. :D

Last edited:
yeah, the lecturer for this class always produces vague questions, like in my last assignment there was a question "what must a technician have before he can fix a fault" how vague can you get.

a pair of hands
a brain

I didnt write that, but you get the idea.

Yah, well, hands and a brain are expected to be included in the word "technician". A technician must have:

1 Knowledge that the fault exists.
2 Knowledge of location of the fault.
3 The responsibility or made his responsibility to correct the fault.
4 The knowledge, education and ability to investigate and troubleshoot as necessary in order to find a solution.
5 The necessary tools c/w power source if necessary.
6 Any necessary parts.
7 The time necessary to do this job.

I included #4, "knowledge, education and ability" because these are not always included in the word "technician".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back