Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A/B Video Switch with 5-Second Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackOlsen

I run a video camera in my race car, and I use a box to allow an inset picture from a second source. The inset shows me in the driver's seat, but I'd like to rig up a third camera pointed behind the car and I'd like a button I could hit in the cockpit that would switch the video source for five seconds, and then automatically return to the first view. In other words, the normal inset image is the driver, but when I'd hit the button, that view would change to the rear-pointed camera for five seconds, and then automatically return to the original setting.

I am as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to electronics, but it seems like it should be possible to make an A/B switch for the rca lines from each camera and then somehow come up with a switch that is timed to only change to the B input for 5 seconds before returning to the A camera.

Does anyone want to help a guy out? Here's a video clip that shows what I'm stuck with now. When I want to show the rear-pointed view (like after I overtake another car), I have to edit in a full-screen image from a second camera and recorder. What I would prefer is to have the rear-view image appear in the same inset box, rather than taking up the whole screen.

Thanks in advance.

Here's The Video Example.

This might just be my opinion, but trying to be a video editor while driving a race car is a REALLY bad idea. There's only one 'smart' sollution to your problem, take as many independant full frame camera shots as you want and purchase appropriate software and computer to compile them into the desired result in a decent amount of time, if you don't want to be bothered with the editing send it to one of the many indepedant video editing companies out there that will do the same thing and more for a very fair price.

If you're worrying about which camera angle you're on while driveing a race car you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place. It's like those people talking on a cell phone while passing on an expressway, if you're talking on a phone, let ALONE holding one in your hand, while you're driving it's one thing you're doing which isn't related to actually DRIVING, which is the only thing you should be doing in a car =)

Last edited:
I never got the video to load. It came from google and that is not the norm here for me.

Sceadwian is right, you need to be driving not playing in the drivers seat...

A couple 555 timers would do it for you. But sounds like you are going to want more later. A microcontroller might be better. If nothing else, we will get to see some great crash footage.

Take all the cameras to a common buss and have a pic via your buttons flip to the relay you want and 5 seconds later have it flip back. You will need someone to design that for you most likely. Probably make it for you as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back