Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9volt battery backup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrehder

I need to add a 9-volt battery as backup power. I have a door alarm/transmitter that alarms and pages when a door is opened, it operates on 12vdc. If the AC power is out temporarily, I need to keep this device working for a short period of time.............How do I incorporate a 9-volt battery (like in a smoke detector) to only supply power when the normal 12volts is gone. I do not want to provide any charging circuit........Thx

I need to add a 9-volt battery as backup power. I have a door alarm/transmitter that alarms and pages when a door is opened, it operates on 12vdc. If the AC power is out temporarily, I need to keep this device working for a short period of time.............How do I incorporate a 9-volt battery (like in a smoke detector) to only supply power when the normal 12volts is gone. I do not want to provide any charging circuit........Thx

For your door alarm/transmitter, how much current does it consume? A standard 9V battery can provide up to a maximum of 25mA; but not for very long. How short of a period do you want it to run on emergency power? If it's extremely short you might consider a capacitor.

You could use 8 AA batteries in series to provide the 12V. Radio Shack (8 “AA” Battery Holder - RadioShack.com) and others sell battery holders for this purpose.

Use a diode in series with the batteries (anode to plus battery terminal) to isolate the battery from the 12V supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back