Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9v + LED = time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-amature

Hello,

I am an extreme amature when it comes to electronics - sorry!
I am trying to understand the how long a 9 Volt battery (typical consumer Duracell) will illuminate an LED (generic - low cost - red). Assuming the LED is connected to the battery in the appropriate manner --- with the correct resistors, etc......?

I am trying to get maybe 1 year illumination of the LED with a compact (readily consumer available) battery - any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

QUOTE=e-amature]Hello,

I am an extreme amature when it comes to electronics - sorry!
I am trying to understand the how long a 9 Volt battery (typical consumer Duracell) will illuminate an LED (generic - low cost - red). Assuming the LED is connected to the battery in the appropriate manner --- with the correct resistors, etc......?

I am trying to get maybe 1 year illumination of the LED with a compact (readily consumer available) battery - any suggestions?

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]

This should get you started:
https://www.powerstream.com/9V-Alkaline-tests.htm

one 9V battery will give you somewhere between 120 and 200 hours of illumination with the simplest circuit, a series resistor. With a good switching voltage converter circuit you should be able to get more than 600 hours.

It is possible to get as much as 1 year or more if it is acceptable to flash the LED rather than leaving it on constantly. I've built an LED flasher that should operate for 3 years from a single Lithium AA cell.

Great, I had a reply all typed out in one of this guy's three copies of the same thread, and by murphy's law, I chose one of the two that the moderators deleted while I was typing ;) Oh well...

In short - battery capacities are rated in amp-hours (current * time). Smaller batteries are usually in milliamp-hours (mAh). To find out what battery capacity you need to run something for a given period of time, multiply the current it runs at by the desired time of operation. A year is close to 9000 hours, and LED's are going to need at least a few mA - so you're looking at tens of amp-hours. By the discharge curves linked by Rolf, I'd say that a 9v battery is less than 5% of the capacity you would really need.

Plus, a 9v is a very poor choice for a single LED because you'd be dropping like 7v across the current-limiting resistor, meaning the majority of the power coming from the battery is wasted in the resistor. A pair of D-cell batteries would do much better - only about 3v with two in series (so much less power would be wasted in the resistor) and a quick google search revealed they can have capacities of on the order of 20,000 mAh
**broken link removed**
I've seen crappy cardboard stand-up display/advertisements at fast food places with some LED's in them, and usually they have a pair of D-cells stuck to the back.

Last edited:
How long would the interval be for the blinking LED - also, do you have a schematic of this that your willing to share?

Blinking led circuit.

Hi e-amature,

Here's a blinking led circuit, although it uses a high efficiency led.
It was designed to operate from a 9 volt battery and to consume as little
as possible.

on1aag.

Attachments

• LM3909 replacement.GIF
    LM3909 replacement.GIF
    7.1 KB · Views: 4,564
The battery must operate for 24 x 365= 8760 hours in one year. Then at an LED current of 20mA the battery capacity must be 8760 x 20ma= 175,200mAh.
Energizer's site lists 20,500mah for their alkaline D cells so you would need 9 in parallel and doubled to get 3V. Have you ever lifted 18 D cells?

A 9V battery has skinny AAAA cells inside that are too small to power an LED for any reasonable length of time.
A red LED needs about only 1.8V so using a 9V battery wastes 7.2V.

Two AA cells (3V) can power a red LED about 5 times longer than a 9V battery, are about the same size and cost much less.

My 3V LED Chaser project uses two AA alkaline cells and its red LEDs blink brightly for about 1 year.

Hmmm, I think I have atleast 18 D cells on my desk..... maybe thats what I should do with um......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back