Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanTech

Hi there

I'd like to build a 9V battery charger. Can someone please suggest a circuit diagram and an explanation.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't recommend using an LM317 to charge a 9V battery because it won't current limit until 1.5A to 3A.

Unless he actually wants a way to power a 9V circuit from the mains, in which case that circuit is perfect.

Yes, that will work.

You need to limit the current to a very low level such as C/10 but it'll take a long time to charge. The good thing about using a resistor is that the current will be higher when the battery is flat and the current will drop as it charges.

thanks for the help

just to clarify, must the charge current always be 10 times smaller than the battery current and must it always be charged with the same volts as the battery output voltage?

Don't mention it. Remember if you need help just post here. Also, you may need to charge the battery using 1.5V higher than the battery, I would just use a 15 volt transformer (because the voltage will vary a bit when the battery's added) Add a 9V regulator to the V+ pin on the battery then your current limiting resistor will be 800 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back