Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9 volt power supply from 120 volts AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixit7

I would like to build a regulated 9 volt D.C. power supply that uses 115 v AC to supply low current circuits.

The plan I found uses a power transformer, voltage regulator, zener diode, transistor, and some capacitors.

My wall transformer puts out .6 amp which is more than I need. There is no way to take it apart without destroying it.

It weighs 44 grams( or about 2 ounces) so I am wondering if it uses a power transformer.

Attachments

• 20190522_174728.jpg
    20190522_174728.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I would like to build a regulated 9 volt D.C. power supply that uses 115 v AC to supply low current circuits.

The plan I found uses a power transformer, voltage regulator, zener diode, transistor, and some capacitors.

My wall transformer puts out .6 amp which is more than I need. There is no way to take it apart without destroying it.

It weighs 44 grams( or about 2 ounces) so I am wondering if it uses a power transformer?

You say that you "would like to build."
Is that because you think you have a need for something other than what you have? Or that you're looking for a learning experience?

It weighs 44 grams( or about 2 ounces) so I am wondering if it uses a power transformer?

Please load photos directly to this site - click the paper clip button at the bottom left of the text box you type in for each post. I don't do DropBox.

The power supply in your first post is a flyback type, high frequency switch mode supply. It does use a transformer, although in a flyback converter it's more accurately called a coupled inductor.

But that transformer can only be used as part of a circuit like the one that it's in. You couldn't use it as a normal line frequency transformer.

I am using it with my laser alarm circuit.

Weight is not an issue. Using a power transformer along with zeners, etc. would be fine.

I am using 2 AAs with my laser.

I am also wanting to power it from an AC source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back