9-pin serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudedVision

I am making a project with a microcontroller that interfaces to the computer via a 9-pin serial cable. Can I get a 9-pin serial port that attaches to a solderless breadboard anywhere?

Surely can,

**broken link removed**

You dont need the majority of the pins if your only using the connector for UART

**broken link removed**

• Pin 2 - RX data for PC
  • Pin 3 - TX data from PC
  • Pin 5 - Common Earth

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Wait, another question. You were right, I only needed pins 1-5, but the manual of my microcontroller says I need to directly connect pin 6 (DSR) to pin 7 (RTS) Do I need to do this? If I do, the parts from futurlec look like it only includes pins 1-5, so that won't work.

the parts from futurlec look like it only includes pins 1-5, so that won't work.

The PCB adapters from Futurlec do include all 9 pins, the angle of the photo is bad.

the manual of my microcontroller says I need to directly connect pin 6 (DSR) to pin 7 (RTS) Do I need to do this?

Depending on the application (and the programming involved), generally you don't require the other pins.. Consider this project I did a while ago: **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…