Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigma

i was just wondering if anyone had the data sheet or sheets for an 8088 processor.

and also wanted to know what if anyone had some ideas of what i
could do w/ one of them

tnx

and also wanted to know what if anyone had some ideas of what i
could do w/ one of them

There are numerous applications of microprocessors. Infact you can use them in whatever application you can think of. But 8088??? Today no one uses it since there are many better alternatives available. One reason of not using 8088/86 is that it requires large number of peripheral ICs whereas a single chip 16-bit microcontrollers available these days can perform better and faster than these ones and that too with only one chip. No peripherals required in most cases. Due to this reason 8051 family of 8-bit microcontrollers is still very popular inspite of being more than 25 yeras old.

The reason why i'm interested inthe 8088
is because the other day will i was sorting out
my stuff i found that i had an an old ibm pc
i justhad no idea how old.
unfortunately there's noway of reviving it so i thougth
that i could something with it.

You can make a 8088 development kit out of the components you have.

tnx for the info

i just have acouple more questions

1) what do you mean by development kit

2)also it was mentioned that i could use it in most applications
that i could come up with could i use it as a clock or in some I.R
ckt's and so how?

i know that i could be a bit more specific but
this is a bit advanced for me while i've studied
how a microprocessor works but i haven't had any experience with them
and i really would like to get some hands on with them.

tnx

A development kit is a hardware using which you can develop your 8088/86 programs and test them in the real world. You can also interface your other hardwares like LCD, 7-segment display etc. with this kit and write programs for it. In short a development kit is a single board computer.
If you want ot get more idea on what a development board/kit is, look at this site www.pjrc.com. It is for 8051 microcontrollers.

cool this is just what i was looking for
but can i follow the same schematic for the 8088
(with a few mods of course)
or do i need something completely diff.

No, you can't use that schematic for 8088. 8051 is an 8-bit MCU whereas 8088 is a 16-bit uP so things are very different out there. If in future you want to learn 8051 (the most popular and my favourite microcontroller) I suggest you to make one of those boards on Paul's site. They are simply best and on top of that they are FREE :)

Comming back to 8088, you can find schematics at:
**broken link removed**
http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~reckert/sbc.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back