Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8086 and 8088

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

When I was inquiring about the prices of the 8086 and the 8088 chips at my local electronics store, the 8086 costs $18 CDN and the 8088 chip costs only $3 CDN. I ordered an 8088 because I wanted to take assembly and machine language to a whole new level.

What is the difference between the 8088 and the 8086? Does the 8088 come without the memory?

You didn't look at them in Google?
They don't have memory. In the days they were invented, memory was very expensive. The 8086 is also expensive because it is 16 bits, the 8-bit 8088 was chosen by IBM for their 1st PC.
Maybe a modern microcontroller with built-in memory is a better choice today.

I looked at data sheets. I thought it had to do with memory.

I have memory IC's at home.

I use 8088 because I have been using dos debug for a long time, which means programming the 8086 will be no problem.

audioguru said:
the 8-bit 8088 was chosen by IBM for their 1st PC.

The 8088 isn't really 8 bit - It's 16 bit and identical to the 8086 - Only the 8088's external databus is 8 bit whereas the 8086's is 16 bit. Therefore the 8088 needs to do 2 databus cycles to obtain a full word, but internally they are 100% the same.

And indeed, none of them have memory - just a CPU, memory and IO have to be done externally.

also note that knowing dos assembler won't do you much good in a stripped x86 system. All dos & bios calls are unavailable (int10 - 13 and 24) unless you implement them - but then you're building a full pc.

Also, there are much better ways to program assembly for dos then debug - search around on the net - Borland and MS x86 assemblers are available for free these days.

This is a 'blast from the past' :lol:

Lets build a full blown microprocessor system back from the 70's, EPROM, static RAM, data and address latches, I/O chips, writing a monitor program so it can do something - BIG job!.

What are you actually trying to achieve?, for most applications a simple single chip micro-controller would probably outperform your 8086, and all in a single chip - rather than the 20-30 chips you may well be looking at?.

As Exo pointed out, your debug experience won't help a great deal, as you don't have the BIOS available. If you want to play with 8086, why not use an old PC mother board? - I've thrown loads of XT and AT boards away!.

I want to actually learn more on digital electronics, and possiblly, be able to make a display that does an action based on a user option from a menu.

I do understand that interrupts are not available at this level.

I know it sounds simplified on a 8086, but as soon as I figure out how 8086's work, then maybe I'll step up to a 80386 and so on and so forth. but I think everything comes down to knowing from the early processors.

mstechca said:
I want to actually learn more on digital electronics, and possiblly, be able to make a display that does an action based on a user option from a menu.

Good idea, but a bizarre choice of device to use?.

I do understand that interrupts are not available at this level.

Interrupts should be available at ANY level, it's a function of the processor, but obviously BIOS functions won't be (unless you write them?).

I know it sounds simplified on a 8086, but as soon as I figure out how 8086's work, then maybe I'll step up to a 80386 and so on and so forth. but I think everything comes down to knowing from the early processors.

No, I don't think an 8086 is 'simplified', I think it's more over complicated if anything.

This is too funny. I'm in the process of taking a trip down memory lane myself, using the 8088 family of chips and Robert Grossblatt's excellent "The 8088 Project Book" which walks you through the assembly of a complete 8088 computer system, albeit not with DOS but just simple routines.

The reason I'm doing this is not to learn more about CPUs or microcontrollers, because the best way to do that in my opinion is to get involved with modern chips, but I'm doing it simply for the fun of it, much like I would build or restore vacuum tube radios. It's fun! It's also amazing to see how much progress has been made since earlier silicon, yet many things stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back