Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8051 Help with Baud Rate for Serial Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

My lab requires me to set the baud rate to 4800 using 12Mhz crystal. I just don't see how this is possible because 12Mhz/12/32 = 31250 divide that by 4800 and you get 6.5104. How on earth am I supposed program timer 1 with that value?

Unbelivably, this question was on the final exam that I wrote today. The closest value I can get to 4800 Baud with 12Mhz crystal is 5208. Is there something I might have missed in class? Is there some sort of trick for this ?

The only way I know to get 4800 Baud is to use Xtal of 11.0592Mhz...

If SMOD is set the baud rate is doubled so the formula is
TH1 = 256 - ((system frequency / (12 * 16)) / baud)

So TH1 is loaded with 243.

TY

If SMOD is set the baud rate is doubled so the formula is
TH1 = 256 - ((system frequency / (12 * 16)) / baud)

So TH1 is loaded with 243.

Thanx a lot! I totaly missed the section on "Doubling the baud rate in the 8051" in the txt book. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back