Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-pin Mini DIN connector - best way to open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRIPLE A

Hi all, newbie here, nice to meet you.
I'm building a custom Mini DIN cable to connect a couple of vintage synth components. I have all the parts I need together with the pinout, but I'm struggling to open up the connector housing for the plug that will be at one end of the finished cable (in order to get to the parts I need to solder).
Pic attached - I believe I need to squeeze together the two 'bumps' in order to loosen the housing around the metal connector - but I lack the right tool for the job. My long nose pliers have already started eroding the plastic and soon there will be nothing left for a tool to grip.
Can anyone point me toward a better tool for this job? Longer/thinner nose pliers, or something else perhaps?
Thanks a lot
IMG_1762.jpeg

Try this:

1636629959280.png

JimB

Don't lift, bend or pry anything - just pull the outer sleeve from the inner plastic and metal shells.

It may be stiff, but the inner parts all just split open around those tabs etc. once the outer is removed.
(Once fully assembled, the outer sleeve should completely cover the inner plastic part).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back