Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 bits transmissor/receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ

Hello. Over time I've built a lot of electronic projects using the PC's parallel port. For instance, I've built a simple car, running with 2 stepping motors. There's a long cable that goes from the parallel port's 8 TTL outputs and to the car.

Right now it looks like this

8 outputs/inputs from the parallel port
|
| [wires]
|
\/
a 2803 chip on the car
|
|
|
\/
other stuff needed to make the car go

What I would want to do, is simply replace the wires. I'd need a transmissor, and a receiver capable of receiving the 8 outputs and giving the 2803 chip onboard the TTL levels it needs. Of course, I'd also need to power the car with a battery or something, thus replacing the power supply's wires also, but that's beyond the scope of this post.

What would be the simplest way of building this?

assuming you know how to program microcontrollers, you could use the micro to convert the parrallel data into serial data, from there you can output the serial data to a transmitter module.

At the reciever end, you can convert the serial data back into parallel (using a micro) and use the information from there...

:?:
Why don't use serial port from PC?
of course you need a program for serial port.
A laser comunication system is good for short distance and is simple.
For long distance you need a more complex RF system.

Well, I'm looking for info on what ICs may be worth checking out, and that kind of stuff. And I'm looking for a RF solution (not infrared).

Isn't microcontrolles a bit overkill? Those cheap made-in china toy cars are apparently able to send 4 bits of data (4 servos) using a couple of ICs.

The microcontroller is not really overkill because to send 8 bits of data in parallel, you need 8 or 9 subcarrier channels in the RF. That means 9 filters or phase lock loops in the receiver versus one micro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back