Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8-bit number to 3x7 segment displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froskoy

Hi,

I feel like this is a very simple question, and I'm overlooking something very basic, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I want to take an 8-bit number (output from some logic circuits) and display is on a seven segment display. There is lots of information available on the web about converting a 4-bit number to BCD and then displaying it on a single 7-segment display, but I can't find anything on how to display a number between 0 and 255 on 3 displays.

I'd be really grateful if someone could enlighten me, or point me in the direction of some good reading.

With very, very many thanks,

Froskoy.

EDIT: I'd rather not use a microcontroller, unless there is no other option, as I have very limited experience in this area. However, I am always up for learning about new things.

Last edited:
I want to take an 8-bit number (output from some logic circuits) and display is on a seven segment display.

Hi there. Well you should be a bit more specific. What kind of logic output is it?
Anyway it IS the age of microcontrollers now. They're cheaper nowadays and they consume less power compared to combinations of ICs to do the same thing.

cheers.

To display an 8-bit binary number on a 3-digit decimal display you must convert the binary number to BCD and then use three BCD to 7-segment decoders. The binary to BCD conversion is not trivial. See this thread.

Last edited:
Wow, I think I'd massively underestimated the task of converting the binary to BCD. I'll either write out the truth table and program it to an EPROM or just use a microcontroller and multiplex the three 7-segment displays.

Thanks very much for the advice,

Froskoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back