Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 / 10 / 14 bit Binary to 7 segment display help

Status
Not open for further replies.

regomodo

Hi,
it's my 1st post here but i've been using this place for a while for ideas.

My project is a Motorcycle Information Module using CPLD/FPGA tech. I would ask my project supervisor but i have no confidence in her. She asked me if my motorbike was front or rear wheel drive and despite many meetings i still feel she has no idea what i'm talking about.

Despite my best efforts i am unable to figure out how to display a 8-14bit binary number on multiple 7segment displays. I need the 8, 10, & 14bit numbers. I may have the 10 and 14 bit numbers on the same display but switched.

As far as i can tell i need to use a 7447 binary to BCD (then use BCDto 7seg driver) but is there any low powered chip to go straight from binary to a 7seg outputting in decimal format? Also, i do not want to use an eeprom.

Any help would be awesome as i've searched but can't find a definitive answer. Thankfully i've got most of the hard bits behind me.

Cheers

EDIT: It doesn't have to be a 7-seg display. Just something very "bolt-onable". I was going to use a GDM12864H but i have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Last edited:
regomodo said:
As far as i can tell i need to use a 7447 binary to BCD (then use BCDto 7seg driver) but is there any low powered chip to go straight from binary to a 7seg outputting in decimal format?

The 7447 IS the driver for a seven-segment LED. It translates the binary number into a single-digit number 0 to 9.

The CD4511 is a combination counter, decoder and 7-segment driver in one chip, and it is not as voltage specific as the TTL 74xxx series.

I don't understand what you mean by 8 - 10- and 14 bit numbers. In binary, 8 bits represents the number 256, 10 is the number 1024 and 14 bits translates to the number 16284 (Xsub2). Perhaps you could clarify.

So, which is it? Rear wheel or front? sheez!

regomodo said:
My project is a Motorcycle Information Module using CPLD/FPGA tech. I would ask my project supervisor but i have no confidence in her. She asked me if my motorbike was front or rear wheel drive and despite many meetings i still feel she has no idea what i'm talking about.

What's a motorcycle ?

on1aag.

Ok. Cheers for clarifying that.

What i mean is that i have 3 outputs.
One is an 8 bit number, ones is an 10bit number etc. Yeah i know what the numbers come out to but i've limited the 10bit to 999 and the 14bit to 9999 in my VHDL coding.

I'll have to reread the datasheet as i thought the 7447 converts binary to bcd which then needs a seperate driver for the 7seg. Obviously not.

I'll check out the CD4511.

Oh, and my supervisor? She thought it's safe to put a static sensitive sensitive fpga on top of its anti-static bag. She almost made my classmate cry. God knows how she got a Phd.

I've used eproms to make my own binary-to-BCD decoder. You just program them to give the BCD output (on the data lines) that you want for a specific bit pattern on the input (address lines). The eproms were free - salvaged off old boards, then erased and reprogrammed. I only made my setup to do 8-bit (0-255), but I expect it could be expanded.

*edit* I hope this isn't what you meant when you said "Also, i do not want to use an eeprom."

Jeff

Last edited:
Yeah, that is what I meant. I'm trying to keep part counts to a minimum. I've used one before for a 6502 project. Not exactly hard but not what i want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back