Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7 Bit Binary to BCD (Decimal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhammedonur

Hi,

I want to design a logic system(only gates and flip-flops are allowed) which is convert 7 bit binary input to 8 bit BCD(2 digit decimal). So i have investigate many circuit but many of them are about programmable chip but i want to logic design. And I found some circuit but it seems so complex so i cannot design it gate by gate. Do you know any logic chip i use it to design that converter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
There's no simple logic to convert binary to BCD. There were some chips that would do this, but I believe they are no longer available.

One way would be to build a 7-bit binary down-counter and an 8-bit BCD up-counter with flip-flops and gates. You jam the binary number into the down-counter and then start counting down. At the same time you start clocking the BCD counter up from zero. When the binary count reaches zero you stop the count for both counters. At that point you will have the BCD value in the BCD counter.

There's no simple logic to convert binary to BCD. There were some chips that would do this, but I believe they are no longer available.

One way would be to build a 7-bit binary down-counter and an 8-bit BCD up-counter with flip-flops and gates. You jam the binary number into the down-counter and then start counting down. At the same time you start clocking the BCD counter up from zero. When the binary count reaches zero you stop the count for both counters. At that point you will have the BCD value in the BCD counter.

thank you for your answer but i wonder that if it is possible to design the attached circuit with some familiar chips. And i want to try it with multimedia logic simulator to if it is working or not but i didn't create it because i think i had a mistake. And about your counter if i connect bcd output to two 7 segments led will it show countdown on the screen or only the result will be shown ? thank you for replies again.

thank you for your answer but i wonder that if it is possible to design the attached circuit with some familiar chips. And i want to try it with multimedia logic simulator to if it is working or not but i didn't create it because i think i had a mistake. And about your counter if i connect bcd output to two 7 segments led will it show countdown on the screen or only the result will be shown ? thank you for replies again.
If only gates and flip-flops are allowed, how can you use "some familiar chips"? :confused:

If you connect the BCD counter to 7-segment LEDs (using a BCD to 7-segment decoder circuit), you will see the countup of the counter. If you want to prevent that you could add a latch circuit at the BCD output to hold the last value while counting the new value.

i want to say that i can use chips which include logic gate :) and i wonder its internal structure for example what kind of gate using and how they are connected with each other etc.

and i mean that i can find only some familiar chips like 7400 series integrated circuits :)

Last edited:
Here's another thread on binary to BCD conversion.

Use a 74ls47 : it's a binary coded decimal 74XX series chip. You actually have 3 inputs : A-B-C (plug in let's say a DIP switch) and plug at the a-b-c-d-e-f-g a 7segment. Depending on what you've entered as inputs, it'll decode the exact number at it's exit and show it on the 7seg

7 bit binary to BCD is an entirely different animal. e.g. 63 decimal or 01111111 is 6 BCD followed by 3 BCD and not 4F which is the HEX, base 16 equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back