Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6v LeadAcid Battery Charging ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUTURETECH

Hi all ....

I'm busy building a 6v LeadAcid battery charger for a 6v 12Ahr battery. I'm in the electronic security trade and do electronics as a hobby.

In alarmsystem/applications the system has a build-in back-up battery charging function to keep the 12v 7Ahr battery charged.
One also get a small stand-alone 12v DC 1 Amp (LM317T)charger module with which one can charge these batteries.

My question regarding this - if this 12v 7Ahr battery has been run-down quite a bit, say to 8.5v, what amount of amps will it drawn from such a charger unit( the stand-alone module ), as this regulator could only supply a max of 1.5 amp ? F Y I - these charging modules are useally " feed " from a 16v AC 40va transformer.

Furtheron, would it then be possible to use the same regulator for charging the 6v 12Ahr battery ? I'm using a 4K7 trimpot to adjust the charging voltage to 10.5v as the batterie's constant charging voltage is 7.45 v - keeping in mind the 3v voltagedrop accross the regulator.
I'm using a 12v 1 Amp transformer to " feed " my charger module.

Iwould appreciate any info regarding this setup and how to go about solving / building it .

Regards

Go to National's web site, and read the **broken link removed**. It has a battery charger shown in the "Suggested Circuits" section.

Also find **broken link removed**. It shows you how to build current-limiting in to avoid cooking the regulator when it is used for battery charging.

Last edited:
MikeMl...

Thanks for the info ! I'v seen this 6v chargercircuit also on the LM338 datasheet, the bigger brother of the LM317 .

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back