Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

6v from 12v battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, here's a link to the spec sheet -
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/02/slts059a-1.pdf

Pins are 1,2,3, left to right, from the front (check the diagram). The battery goes on pin 1, the charger goes on pin 3, ground (-) is common to battery, pin 2 on the regulator, and the charger.

Don't forget that 100µf cap from pin 3 to ground. You can ignore the other one, though.

I'm just a dumb hick but could you just hook up a battery charger to the thing but set to the 6v charging selection. Seems to me my grandpa did that and it worked just fine.

Well sure, there you go - simple country wisdom! Just charge it to 6V! Why the heck didn't we... oh, wait - what's this curve?
**broken link removed**

On reading your reply again perhaps I was misunderstood. My grandpa hooked the charger direct to the device using the charger as a ad hock power supply.

If he had power out there, why would he be carrying all these batteries around?

Point taken, just out of curiosity. Would it work? Using the charger as a power supply? It was almost 30 years ago I "thought" I saw my grandpa do this.

Probably. I mean, it kind of depends on the charger and the load. The battery charger usually isn't filtered, but it will have some inherent voltage limiting so it doesn't overcharge the battery. An electric fence would probably run fine off it.

Thanks

Thanks a lot Duffy
I got it hooked up a few weeks ago and its been working fine with no sign of draining the 12v battery. I used a 400µ capacitor from radio shack along with the TI part. I left the connectors so I could go back to 6v if there ever was a reason to.

Do you know of anything that could give it more spark? When I had used it years ago it would arc to my finger if I got close enough to it; now I can hold the wire lightly without too bad of a shock. If you grab it tightly it will shock pretty hard. I have tried steel and aluminum wire, rebar and copper ground rods, good insulators that are not shorting anywhere. It used to strike fear in the hearts of bovine,:eek: but now I'm afraid they may ground it out before getting zapped.

Thanks a lot Duffy
Inow I can hold the wire lightly without too bad of a shock. If you grab it tightly it will shock pretty hard.

What are you wearing on your feet? Nice dry rubber soled boots? How dry is the ground? Try standing barefoot in the mud and holding it lightly. I bet it will give you a pretty good zap.

I have one of those old spring and flywheel electric fencers. They could care less about the input voltage. I ran it off 12 volts with a pair of 8 ohm 20 watt radio shack resistors in parallel. they keep the RF pop down but still make it hurt when you touched it! Ran one like that all summer for several years on an old car battery. just charged it up once or twice a summer. We took that fence out so now its not needed anymore. Its in my antiques collection now.
The old ones put some amps behind that spark, the newer ones put a lot of volts in it to get the exagerated miles of fence thay can run numbers up.

Grab a spark plug wire on your car. Lots of volts less amps! Grab a plug wire off an old magneto driven engine, hurts way more! more amps less volts.

And yes those old fencers run off a battery charger on 6 volts just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back