68HC11 developer kit - partially flexible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there!

I'm gonna purchase a cheap 68HC11 developer kit from Farnell and the breadboard together.

So are all the 68HC11 erasable-programmable as those of the PIC series?

And how flexible are they? For the PIC, it'll be very flexible because I can purchase these chips, program them and put it into the target circuit. But I don't see 68HC11 being the same at all?

Back when I played with the 68HC11, it had a serial boot loader which allowed you to run code in RAM. You could then write a small code snippet which programmed code into EEPROM to be executed from there. I had no compiler or programmer at the time so I had to write a program in QBASIC to assemble and load code into the HC11 via the serial port. I would assume your development kit already has similar/better software. The 68HC811 is another choice which has more EEPROM than the plain old HC11 series. I ended up going to PICs because there was greater choice in package size and type. Plus PICs have a large user base with lots of free tools.

You need to find a site where people use motorola/freescale processors. Most everyone here is PIC and/or AVR.

I have a little 68HC11 board from about 15 years ago. If memory serves the uC has a built in bootloader. There were one or two C compliers, could be a selection of them by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…