Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

68HC11 developer kit - partially flexible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there!

I'm gonna purchase a cheap 68HC11 developer kit from Farnell and the breadboard together.

So are all the 68HC11 erasable-programmable as those of the PIC series?

And how flexible are they? For the PIC, it'll be very flexible because I can purchase these chips, program them and put it into the target circuit. But I don't see 68HC11 being the same at all? :rolleyes:

Back when I played with the 68HC11, it had a serial boot loader which allowed you to run code in RAM. You could then write a small code snippet which programmed code into EEPROM to be executed from there. I had no compiler or programmer at the time so I had to write a program in QBASIC to assemble and load code into the HC11 via the serial port. I would assume your development kit already has similar/better software. The 68HC811 is another choice which has more EEPROM than the plain old HC11 series. I ended up going to PICs because there was greater choice in package size and type. Plus PICs have a large user base with lots of free tools.

You need to find a site where people use motorola/freescale processors. Most everyone here is PIC and/or AVR.

I have a little 68HC11 board from about 15 years ago. If memory serves the uC has a built in bootloader. There were one or two C compliers, could be a selection of them by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back