5V USB to 12V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba1978

For my job I flash microcontrollers on a daily basis. These are located in modules that require 8V-16V to power up. Ususally I have to carry an external power supply to power up the modules and I was looking for a less of a hassel way to do this. It only requires about 500mA at 12V to power the micro up. Is there a way I can step up the 5V output on my computers USB to 12V so I don't need an external power supply? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

The forest does not allow you to see the trees ? Some love complex solutions, no doubt.

Open the case of that compfuser you want its USB converted to +12V and hook to its internal power supply yellow wire. That is +12V. Black is ground, and for sure there is spare connectors. A lenght of cable will come out any rear slot to power your programming thingy. No conversions, no external anythings, done.
Miguel

There is a way to get 12V from 5V, but no, you can't do it on a USB port because a USB port can't provde enough current. At 100% efficiency it takes 1.2A@5V to make 500mA@12V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…