Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V power from microhone jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

prabhjassal

First of all, I am complete newbie in electronics. Just started tinkering around with it about two months back and started soldering stuff around 1 month back.

So, I have searched endlessly on this. I have a pcmcia usb card in my laptop which needs external 5V supply which was provided generally by USB. Since, I have only 2 usb ports available on my laptop, i decided to go another way. Now, the microphone jack gives out 5V out. Can i use it to connect to give the power to card instead of USB. Also, which part would be used as a ground.

I have already made a VGA->USB power only but I don't know why it didn't work, so this might be last hope for me. Thanks for any help you can get me.

I dont think that the Mic jack 5V will deliver enough current to power your PCMCIA card.

I have bought regulated AC-powered cell phone chargers than produce 5Vdc (well-regulated) rated to deliver up to 350mA for $1 (at a surplus store). Get one of those.

Not a chance, the mike socket doesn't provide 5V power, it simply provides a low current via a resistor to bias an electret mike - you can't use it to power anything.

well actually that's the thing, the card already came with a usb cable and an adapter to power the card but i don't want to use anything external. it can power with both a usb port or an ac adapter.
but i have seen somebody use a vga->usb converter to do this kind of thing. as the power supply in a laptop would be supplying all electronics almost same current, so could even in theory it could work or the microphone jack supplies low current compared to usb

Not a chance, the mike socket doesn't provide 5V power, it simply provides a low current via a resistor to bias an electret mike - you can't use it to power anything.

thanks for the reply. I guess I have to go back to work on vga->usb method if it's supposed to work as it does with everybody else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back