Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 Timer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert McLean

Hi,
I have made the circuit here
470x260xStunGun.gif.pagespeed.ic.ex72EeUoD5.png

The circuit is fully made and working fine.

My question is about the type of 555 that is used. When I first put this together I used a "TS555CN" but when I was was playing about with input voltage I burnt it out. I tried replacing it with another (NE555) and it wouldn't work.
I know the TS555 is a low power 555 but should that really matter?

So my question in short is, why does the NE555 not work in the circuit I posted above.
Thanks.

Yes it works fine again with the new TS555CN.

Through curiosity I have also tried another couple of brand new NE555's with the same outcome.

Did you get the NE555s from a reputable source? Could they be rejects/fakes? Do they work correctly in other circuits?

What are you getting at the base of the transister for each one?

Did you get the NE555s from a reputable source? Could they be rejects/fakes? Do they work correctly in other circuits?
Yes I have used them in a ps3 controller mod recently.

I got the NE555's directly from texas instruments as a free sample a while back.

The 10n is a bit small for a ne555.

Fair enough, might be something else then.
The cap on pin5 on designs I've seen before has been 10n not 100n, but I wouldnt have thought that'd stop a ne555 and not a ts555.

After checking the reading at the base of the transistor I found out that there was something wrong with my NE555's. This has been bugging me for about a week now so I decided to buy some new NE555's . Guess what, they worked! I know feel like an idiot. Somehow the timers must have been damaged, all eight of them.

I would like to thank everyone who responded.

Dont worry about it, the more you mess with electronics the more weird unexplicable things happen.
Get a bag of 555's, they are the electronic enthusiasts staple.

Never trust anything you find on TalkingElectronics. They're all either stolen designs or very poorly thought out ones that in some cases can be downright dangerous. Personally, I'd recommend looking for a different circuit from another site, one that Colin DIDN'T make.

It does seem more of a beginners site.
I built his fluorescent inverter for my van a while back and it worked.

It does seem more of a beginners site.
I built his fluorescent inverter for my van a while back and it worked.

I'm not saying his circuits don't work, I'm saying they're very poorly designed and in most cases won't last very long (if at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back