Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer. Keep a LED off for 60 seconds than on for 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean-Paul Carey

I need to use a 555 timer (astable) mode to keep a LED off for 60 seconds than on for 2 seconds, a bit smoke detectors that turns a red LED on about every 60 seconds for 1-2 seconds then repeats. If it is easier to turn the LED on for 60 seconds and off for 2 seconds it won't be problem as I can invert pin 3 from the 555. I'm using a breadboard. a circuit diagram would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the LTspice simulation of a 555 astable circuit that should do what you want:
The Off time is determined by R3 and the ON time by the parallel value of R3 and R4, in conjunction with C2.

1585172276020.png

If your project is battery powered then a 7555 will use a bit less juice.

I like this circuit with 2 diodes & 2 resistors it makes math very easy. There are several variations of this. Variable resistors lets you fine tune the circuit or set it to exactly what you need while circuit runs. Variable resistors lets you change it to a different low time or high time separately. It has been about 2 years since I experimented with this circuit I don't remember why pin 7 is not used. It is possible to have an off time of about 20 minutes.

100_6449.JPG

100_6450.JPG

100_6451.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back