Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 Timer Generating Negative Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dc5e

hi, i was following this circuit http://www.csgnetwork.com/ne555c1.html and i think i know how it works... but i'm not sure if it generates enough current.

I need -5v for my 4x40 LCD, so far i've tried this circuit using slightly different valued resistors and capacitors and so far it works, but it doesn't charge/pump fast enough. Is there any way i can enhance this circuit to be able to supply more current using common parts?

As Russlk implies, the 555 is not ideal for this type of circuit. Even at low current loads, you lose 2 diode drops in the conversion process. The 555 also does not have a full rail-to-rail output swing, which causes you to lose even more voltage. With a 1k load, you'll probably only get about -3.6 volts. With a 100 ohm load, it might be more like -2.5 volts. This type of converter works fairly well with higher supply voltages, but for 5 volts, Russlk's suggestion is a much better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back